Smoking Cashews and Beef Bone Marrow

• Walton's Employee

Bone Marrow Video

Weekly Blog Post - Smoking Cashews and Beef Bone Marrow

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Will it BBQ? Bone Marrow - We took some beef bones and put them in our Grill/Smoker combo for 15 or os minutes at high heat. We then removed the marrow from the bone, chilled that added our favorite seasonings and whipped it up into a buttery spread. We then put them on some bread, it was better than any butter I’ve ever had!

Will it BBQ? Cashew Nuts - We cold smoked some cashews with a few different seasoning shakers. Since Cashews are nice and creamy we decided to cold smoke them to not lose any of that creaminess. The video should be coming out shortly!

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

Bone Marrow Burgers. This started from the the meatgistics user @Denny when he asked what a good ratio of bone marrow would be to use when making burgers. We made a few different burgers with a some different ratios and picked our favorite.

What’s on our Mind?

I love cooking chicken in my crock pot at home but it can sometimes dry it out. This weekend I used the General Tso Marinade and cooked my chicken up to 180° to make it easier to shred but that also dried it out. Well I saved the juice that was left over in the pot, added a little bit of cornstarch to it in a pan and cooked it down and now I have a delicious easy General Tso Sauce to add to the shredded chicken. Delicious and easy!

New Products

Broil King Baron S590

Baron S590

Weston #32 Butcher Series Grinder

#32 Butcher Series Grinder

Recent Posts

• R

Just an FYI, everybody that received snack sticks for Christmas last year loved them… I just ordered another batch of Willie’s Snack Stick spice blend to do it again this year!

read more
  • R

Jonathon, I have to agree that 275 is too hot… If you have the time I’d shoot for 225, but if it needs to be “done”, then 250 would be the max I would do…

I have always filled the water pan for everything I smoke… 2 reasons, first it does tend to add moisture during the long cook thus keeping the bark from turning to shoe leather… and second because the water pan acts as a heat sink and helps maintain the temperature (in my vertical propane smoker) a bit more accurately… I’ve heard folks tout using apple juice in the water pan to impart a sweeter flavor, but I’ve never tried it…

On the other hand, my dad smoked for years, mostly in a converted fridge with an electric hotplate in the bottom… he never used a water pan and never had an issue with dry meat…

As for the type of wood to use, that’s just a trial and error, personal preference thing… I happen to like steaks cooked with oak… that may be too strong a flavor for your taste (my GF hates it)… Recently I have been using a lot of maple for NC bbq, chicken and even cheese… I like the maple for the meats, but next batch of cheese will go back to the hickory / cherry mix that I was using…

read more
  • D

I followed the instructions on the video. It may have something to do with the sausage not getting as firm as it should. I used the cotto salami on duck breast with pork fat. It sure tastes good. But it’s a little soft.

read more
  • P

@stan
    I’ve done a lot both ways. I would highly recommend a stuffer and I have the Weston grinder with the auger stuffing attachment. It’s slow, but if you’re doing 5# or 10# batches, it’s not that bad. I’ve had small 5# stuffer, old school cast iron Enterprise, 11# vertical and now a 35# hydraulic. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t trade the hydraulic but the 11# vertical I got on amazon had a lot of versatility. I think your bigger decision should be what type of stuffer should I buy. I would recommend the taller, smaller diameter instead of the large shorter one. The smaller diameter allow for a higher pressure for doing sticks with cure in them. The large short ones would be great for doing pork sausage or larger diameter casings, not 19-22mm sticks with cure. It would be fine as long as you’re doing fresh like breakfast or something like that. If you go the stuffer route I’d get it from Waltons and get the Weston-they stock parts, other no name from amazon is a one shot deal, once ours broke couldn’t find parts. Plus they have so many tube sizes now and Walton’s does a great job helping with casing and stuffing horn sizes, they carry them all.

read more
  • B

I purchased a stuffer off Amazon for under $100 and would never go back to using the grinder. With the grinder, it was always a two man job and took forever. The stuffer is much faster and have no problems doing it all by myself. Plus with a hand crank stuffer, no electricity usage and wear and tear on your grinder.

read more
  • T

Thank You Sir:
    Tarp

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.