Salmon snack stick recipe?

• Does anyone have a salmon snack stick recipe or even tried it. My local smoke/butcher shop sells them, but of course will not share their recipe. Looking to find a recipe for one.

Thanks.

• Walton's Employee

@mesbilawson I have never made salmon snack sticks but I did make tuna jerky recently and I found that the hotter snack stick seasonings work better. I tried Habanero Lime, Dill Pickle Seasoning and Teriyaki. In my opinion the Habanero Lime was the best by a good amount, then the Dill Pickle (which has more heat to it than you would imagine) and lastly the teriyaki. I was surprised but that because I assumed the teriyaki would go well with the Tuna but it did NOT.

Those are just my thoughts though, does anyone have any other thoughts?

• I found this recipe on an Alaskan website:

"Salmon Snack Sticks

18 lbs Sockey or King Salmon

½ cup salt

2 cup almond flour

1 cup honey

1 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp ground nutmeg

3 ½ Tablespoons ground white pepper

1 tsp sage

1 tsp garlic granuals

Notes: use 19mm collegen casings. Grind fish almost frozen. Use these same spice quantities with 20lbs fish for a more milder product. Smoke, and bring temp up to just cook. Do not overheat. "

I hope to try this soon using my own Home Smoke Salmon. Other comments I’ve found recommended the spicier seasonings. One in particular said Habanero Seasoning was her favorite.
    I think my tongue caught on fire just reading it.
    My Salmon is caught on the bonny banks of
    Sam’s Club. 😎

I plan to reduce the recipe amounts to be appropriate for my meager catch size. 🎣 Nominally 3 pounds.
    I suspect the Almond Flour is to absorb and suspend the natural oils in the Salmon, and to improve texture.
    I calculate and add “Pink Salt”, Prague Powder #1 to my brine I do on my Salmon before smoking it. I notice there is no cure added to the above recipe. YMMV

(I hope this isn’t too “Necroposting”)

Recent Posts

• D

@talleyho4 said in Sauerkraut:

Do you have a recipe to share?

Are you asking me?

read more
  • B

@yardapes11 @lamurscrappy @Jonathon @Austin
    1_1550947058460_CE56A3D4-AEC6-487D-8708-EBC6367A1DF9.jpeg 0_1550947058459_9E37575B-FEA0-45B9-9679-F227BF4765F0.jpeg summer sausage turned out great…did the hot water bath to finish

read more
  • L

@mcmillenbr Need some more details. 5 pound batch? How much water are you using? I have never had water run out.

read more
  • M

@austin
    I tried making snack sticks for the second time. This time I added citric acid for some tang. The mix never got sticky and when I stuffed the casing it was not smooth and the water seperated and ran out on the counter top. The meat was like little seperated lumps in the casings. After cooking, they tasted good, but the texture was like compressed saw dust.

read more
  • T

Do you have a recipe to share?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.