Salmon snack stick recipe?

• Does anyone have a salmon snack stick recipe or even tried it. My local smoke/butcher shop sells them, but of course will not share their recipe. Looking to find a recipe for one.

Thanks.

• Walton's Employee

@mesbilawson I have never made salmon snack sticks but I did make tuna jerky recently and I found that the hotter snack stick seasonings work better. I tried Habanero Lime, Dill Pickle Seasoning and Teriyaki. In my opinion the Habanero Lime was the best by a good amount, then the Dill Pickle (which has more heat to it than you would imagine) and lastly the teriyaki. I was surprised but that because I assumed the teriyaki would go well with the Tuna but it did NOT.

Those are just my thoughts though, does anyone have any other thoughts?

• I found this recipe on an Alaskan website:

"Salmon Snack Sticks

18 lbs Sockey or King Salmon

½ cup salt

2 cup almond flour

1 cup honey

1 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp ground nutmeg

3 ½ Tablespoons ground white pepper

1 tsp sage

1 tsp garlic granuals

Notes: use 19mm collegen casings. Grind fish almost frozen. Use these same spice quantities with 20lbs fish for a more milder product. Smoke, and bring temp up to just cook. Do not overheat. "

I hope to try this soon using my own Home Smoke Salmon. Other comments I’ve found recommended the spicier seasonings. One in particular said Habanero Seasoning was her favorite.
    I think my tongue caught on fire just reading it.
    My Salmon is caught on the bonny banks of
    Sam’s Club. 😎

I plan to reduce the recipe amounts to be appropriate for my meager catch size. 🎣 Nominally 3 pounds.
    I suspect the Almond Flour is to absorb and suspend the natural oils in the Salmon, and to improve texture.
    I calculate and add “Pink Salt”, Prague Powder #1 to my brine I do on my Salmon before smoking it. I notice there is no cure added to the above recipe. YMMV

(I hope this isn’t too “Necroposting”)

Recent Posts

• @Lance Landjager is a big goal of mine!

read more
  • L

F9B424AD-E887-4822-96B8-16F4BD4E783E.jpeg
    I tried something new to me instead of smoking this Landjager I used a mesquite smoke powder. It turned out pretty good, not as good as real smoke but really not bad.

read more
  • L

@Jonathon
    The old timers in my family used to make blood sausage I remember trying it once…
    I may need to try and make it to see if my taste buds have changed😂

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
DeerSlayer

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.4k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 4.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Mikeg32253.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.