Summer sausage casing

• Hey I made a 10 pound batch of summer sausage using a 70/30 mix of buffalo meat and bacon ends. I tried Walton’s H summer sausage seasoning with 2.5 Tbsp mustard seed thrown in. I stuffed the Walton’s 12” mahogany casings tight and because I didn’t use ECA I refrigerated the sticks overnight. Using a Masterbuilt 30” digital smoker I followed Walton’s guidelines on slowly heating/smoking them. First the good news, they were perfectly cooked from edges to the center and the flavor was so good I will be hard pressed to try anything else! My only issue was in ice bathing the sticks. I got a fair amount of meat shrinkage away from the casings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! And fear not; I will suffer through eating my “mistakes”.

• Walton's Employee

@big-mike There are a couple of things it could have been, all the 12" Mahogany Casings are all prestuck so it’s not that you were using non stuck casing. Were the casings soaked for 30 minutes in warm water to where they became pliable before you stuffed them? The only other thing I can think of would be fat content of the meat or not enough protein extraction but with either of those probably would have caused fatting out and you would have noticed that on the outside of your meat.

How much Ice did you use and how long were they in there for? If the water wasn’t really cold or if they were only n there for a few minutes then maybe that could have contributed.

• I soaked the casings for 50 min in warm water, mixed the meat 8 minutes (4 min in each direction) using a mixer then sprinkled the mustard seed in and hand mixed for 2-3 minutes more. I got excellent protein extraction. The sticks were soaked in ice cold water (1/2 ice & 1/2 water) for 30 minutes then patted dry and placed on racks to air dry for one hour. Cases were all nice and tight prior to the ice bath but were wrinkled after the ice bath. @jonathon

• Walton's Employee

@big-mike I’m stumped on what could have caused it. Give me a couple of days, I want to talk to someone here but he is out of the office and out of reach for a couple of days.

• Walton's Employee

@Big-Mike Can you send me a picture of the product or are they already all gone? I spoke with someone here and they thought cook schedule and fatting out but your process doesn’t indicate to me that either of these was the issue.

• Power User

You may not have stuffed them enough. Sometimes it hard to stuff the larger casings and if it’s not tight the may cause the shrinking during the cooling process. Those cases are extremely durable don’t be afraid to stuff them.

• Power User

Sitting at the beach on vacation my mind has time to wander…when you’re done stuffing give them a good twist to compact the meat. I’ve also give up on string tying I use zip ties and yes I wash them most of the time. We have zip tie loops that we’ll zip tie to the casings, makes hanging so much easier then just reuse the loops. That should help with the shrinkage issue.

• @parksider Thanks. I did all that. I stuffed them tight twisted the tops down tight and secured them with twist ties. I’m going out right now to try again. Thanks for the tips!

Recent Posts

• My wonderful wife made a Costco run today so I could come up with something to compliment the farm fresh corn that was delivered by a Mello Farms family member.

She came home with boneless rib steaks…IMG_20190821_184214.jpg IMG_20190821_184329.jpg IMG_20190821_190312.jpg IMG_20190821_191025.jpg IMG_20190821_192309.jpg

read more
  • K

All Things Bar-B-Que, the Bar-B-Que shop here in Wichita, Kansas (allthingsbarbque.com) has a chef that today made I thought the most wasteful burger going! He ground up an entire brisket!!! and made burger out of it. It was a lesser choice level, but stillll!! It did look great. Check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmsiBFYHLGM&t=1s

This might be an inspiration, too.

By the way; CONGRATULATIONS!! I know how hard the Keto diet is, but to surpass your goal is totally awesome!!

read more
  • P

@rhjbarney @Dave-R @craigrice I see where you’re going with this. I guess I’m to the point I’ve spent $100 on the small mixer, $200 on the larger mixer, now another $100-$200 on this…This is where I cut my losses and just get the 50lb meat mixer. I know it’s not cheap but i’m tired of getting so far in just to come to the reality I should have spent the money in the first place… I feel like I’m hovering between the hobby doing 5 or 10 pounds and a pro shop since were doing well over 600# of stuff a year at this point.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

4 users active right now (0 members and 4 guests).
Drseibert, hoffym70

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.0k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.3k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, genericsmartdrugs.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.