treating hog casing

• A recipe that i have says to soak the hog casings in white vinegar and water. My question is, “what does the vinegar do for the casing?”

• Walton's Employee

@Robert-Tartaglia Generally vinegar was added to the water to help reduce the smell. In my opinion, if you are just stuffing them the casings don’t require them nowadays, if you are boiling them then I might and add some. Some people also say it makes them more tender but this is debatable.

• I have found that putting some vinegar or lemon, will definitely help with the smell, but I have found that the addition of either or helps soften and make the casing more pliable and much easier to work with.
    After some trials, I’m hooked on using lemon juice, about 1/4 a cup per qt of water.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @rodneycaudill ok ok, y’all are convincing me. I will look more at the vacuum chamber. Thanks for y’alls input!

read more
  • R

I bought a chamber vacmaster vp 120 from waltons over a year ago, and it works great. just don’t get nothing inside the bag where it seals the bag.

read more
  • @Jonathon
    We’ll that was the first thing that came to mind the first batch i ever made. had a cold beer in hand and was sampling one and closed my eyes to savor the moment and the smoke aroma smelled just like i had a lit cigar in my mouth thus the term [meat cigars]

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics