smoking a whole boneless ribeye

• I’ve smoked a whole ribeye before but don’t remember what I did. I want to get the meat up to 135 degrees f. and then wrap in aluminum foil. After that I want to place it into an ice chess for a few hours then slice thin and make sandwiches. This is going to be done on SUnday for the LSU football game. Problem is, I am not sure where to start the smoking temperature or what kind of wood to use. I’m thinking hickory so that the flavor will get into the ribeye. Not sure if I need to put water in the water pan for this or not. I viewed videos that put the smoker at 275 to start with but I’m worried that the meat will dry out at that temp. ANy ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

• Walton's Employee

@gerygaub When you say the Whole Ribeye I am assuming you are talking about the entire subprimal cut? If so then I would set your smoker at around 215°, 275° is way too hot in my mind, any dissenting thoughts on this? Since you are going to put it in an ice chest and slice it for sandwiches the crust isn’t really that big of a concern so I wouldn’t even bother searing it for a few minutes afterward, just let the internal temp come to 125° and pull it. A big subprimal like a whole ribeye will continue to transfer heat from the outside to the inside after you pull it off the grill and raise the temp about 5° or so.

As for what wood to use it all depends on how much smoky you want it. Hickory and Mesquite both give a stronger smoke and will work well with a whole ribeye. I would probably still use a milder smoke like Pecan Wood but that is a personal preference!

Good luck, I’m sure the sandwiches will come out great!

I can’t believe we are getting ready for College Football to start!

• Regular Contributors

@gerygaub
    If you want boiled meat then add water except for maybe a cup to keep it moist. Covered in a foil pan and tin foil top. 275 will work if you need extra time for beer lol. I would just wrap it and smoke it till medium rare.
    Good luck Tarp.

• Walton's Employee

@tarp You don’t think 275 is too high? I’d fear at that temp that the outside would start to dry before he got the internal temp to his goal. Honest question, not arguing just wondering what your (or anyone else’s) thoughts are!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• That’s a great question but a difficult one to answer! Usually, Worcestershire Sauce will have a pH of 3.6 - 4.1 while Soy Sauce has 4.4 - 5.4. Negative pH (below 7) can cause denaturing in your meat and if you have something like the 3.6 (low range of the Worcestershire Sauce) it can cause issues even when added in smaller amounts.

If you look at the ingredients in Mandarin Teriyaki Snack Stick or Sweet Teriyaki Jerky (you can do this by scrolling down and then clicking on “Additional Info” button) you will see Soy Sauce as an ingredient, so it can absolutely be added, it just needs to be in the correct amount. This is a major reason that we recommend prepackaged seasonings, your at home recipe can be wonderful but it also has the potential to destroy your products.

So, if you are going to experiment with Sauces with a negative pH then my advice is to start at very low concentrations and work your way up till you find a good amount that provides the taste you are looking for and does not negatively affect your finished product.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

read more
  • J

Does soy sauce denature the meat like worcestershire sauce or is it ok to use in a meat stick?

read more
  • P

Try it on just smoke. That should work fine.

read more
  • P

I have tried a TF 34MM processed casing I got from Quality Casings. A 32MM HF and a 30MM TF, both clear processed, I got from Mar-Co Sales. Devro Is the brand I have now. I have been hanging them. the 30MM has been the best but still tougher than I want. Ideally I want a 32MM processed casing for my brats. Does Walton’s send out samples? I do have to order some other items.

read more
  • T

Re: Jerky
    Thank You

read more
  • C

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a couple of ideas your suggestions have given me.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.