Tis The season

• Well up here in Connecticut, the fall and winter weather is just around the corner, and I’m glad it almost here.

Some might think I crazy, but fall and winter is when I do all my sausage making. I make sausage fresh and cured and I also love making sausages of different types and styles.

After watching every video and reading many posts in this forum, I’m so excited to get started and try new recipes this year.

Going to try and make life easier this year, and try some of Walton’s pre-mixed seasoning for summer sausage, brats and snack sticks like pepperoni and the alike. Also, to make matters easier, Walton’s will be my one stop shopping depot.

Thanks all for your posts and input, let’s get started.

• Walton's Employee

@forkinpork Fall in the North East is one of the things I miss now that I am a Midwesterner! The temperature is perfect and obviously, the foliage is gorgeous. I don’t think anyone would call you crazy for wanting to make sausage in the fall…now the winter…that’s different!

• You crack me up Jonathon, what wrong with making sausage, bacon, and hams, this time of year?
    I’m sure you will agree that the cooler temps are in our favors and if you totally knew my set up you would agree in what I do.
    It’s a long story about my operation and what I do to cure meats, some of it may be questioned by you and others.

The bottom line is, we are on the same page about things, only I use some ol’ Time family tricks and/or methods.

With all that being said, Walton’s is on the money with information and how too, so I have nothing bad to say about that.
    I have just a few different ways of doing things, but I’m going to start incorporating some of your ideas and methods because they make a lot of sense when it come to food safety.

I’m also going to try this year, for the first time ever, some of your pre-mixed seasoning products.

I like what you do and feel that, what the heck, lets make things easier this year and try what you have to offer, as far as pre-mixed seasons for fresh and cured sausage, snack stick and jerky.

I feel it’s gonna be a good year and I will keep you and everyone posted!

Mikey

Stamford, CT 🙂

• Sorry Jonathan, I re-read you post, a bit too late, I miss understood what you said in your post, I was reading to fast and far ahead buddy!

• Walton's Employee

@Forkinpork No worries, we are all in a rush as we approach the busy season! As for doing things differently, there is nothing wrong with that! I am sure people get tired of me saying it but if you have a process that works for you dont change it based upon something that I say! Now, having said that, I do think the vast majority of people could benefit from pre-mixed seasonings. I want to make sure no one thinks I am insulting handed down traditional recipes because I have had some wonderful product from homemade recipes. In general, though, I think preparing seasoning is best left to the professionals!

Have a good day everyone!

• Well I really looking forward to trying some of Walton’s pre-mixes, it sound like tasty fun.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• That’s a great question but a difficult one to answer! Usually, Worcestershire Sauce will have a pH of 3.6 - 4.1 while Soy Sauce has 4.4 - 5.4. Negative pH (below 7) can cause denaturing in your meat and if you have something like the 3.6 (low range of the Worcestershire Sauce) it can cause issues even when added in smaller amounts.

If you look at the ingredients in Mandarin Teriyaki Snack Stick or Sweet Teriyaki Jerky (you can do this by scrolling down and then clicking on “Additional Info” button) you will see Soy Sauce as an ingredient, so it can absolutely be added, it just needs to be in the correct amount. This is a major reason that we recommend prepackaged seasonings, your at home recipe can be wonderful but it also has the potential to destroy your products.

So, if you are going to experiment with Sauces with a negative pH then my advice is to start at very low concentrations and work your way up till you find a good amount that provides the taste you are looking for and does not negatively affect your finished product.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

read more
  • J

Does soy sauce denature the meat like worcestershire sauce or is it ok to use in a meat stick?

read more
  • P

Try it on just smoke. That should work fine.

read more
  • P

I have tried a TF 34MM processed casing I got from Quality Casings. A 32MM HF and a 30MM TF, both clear processed, I got from Mar-Co Sales. Devro Is the brand I have now. I have been hanging them. the 30MM has been the best but still tougher than I want. Ideally I want a 32MM processed casing for my brats. Does Walton’s send out samples? I do have to order some other items.

read more
  • T

Re: Jerky
    Thank You

read more
  • C

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a couple of ideas your suggestions have given me.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.