Using Cellulose Casings and Humidity in a Smokehouse

• Walton's Employee

PK 100 Video

Weekly Blog Post - Using Cellulose Casings and Humidity in a Smokehouse

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Adding Humidity To Your Smoker - We are going to be testing what the effect of adding a water pan to your smoker it by setting up a modified wet sock in our PK - 100 Smokehouse. To do this we are going to use Madgetech monitors and try to prove that adding a pan does, in fact, increase your relative humidity.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are continuing to shoot Meatgistics University Stuff and we have one category mostly done! That might not sound like much progress but it is, in my mind at least, the most difficult category and the one that needed to be done first. So after this hopefully it will be smoother sailing and we can look for a release date of early to mid-October and even sooner if we can manage it! I won’t say we are working around the clock on this but it is our main focus!

What’s on our Mind?

We finally got the PK 100 review done! I know a few people had requested this so I’m glad to finally be able to release it! We love this smoker, obviously, it is the main one we use at meatgistics so we are very familiar with it.

I am also finding more and more that I like Cellulose Casings. A skinless product might have a bit of bad name in some circles but the more I use these the more I find I really like them. I just experimented with just cutting them and not tying them. While it wasn’t perfect it saved me about 10-15 minutes of processing time!

New Products

While they aren’t all that new the Walton’s Boning Knives are a really good, inexpensive, boning knife that would be a nice addition to almost any home processors kit. It also helps you show of your Walton’s love!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon Was there another thread or topic that addressed glycerine and using a vacuum tumbler?

read more
  • C

@doug7777 142 degrees is a stalling point where the fat starts to render. I used to get very impatient and start cranking up the heat to get the INT to go up. That usually results in burning all the fat out of the snack sticks. Be patient. The temp will eventually start to rise again. Once it does, it will continue to do so at a steady pace. I have had snack sticks in the smoker for 24 hours or better due to having 25lbs hanging at one time. I have also had 4-5 lbs at a time in the smoker only take 4-5 hours total.

read more
  • @DeerSlayer i guess i never replied to this thread even though i was mentioned! Sorry about that!
    Glad things are turning out great! Just an FYI you could probably just stuff right away into casings, it will make it much eaiser for you then after 6 hours then resting again! Also im a huge supporter of sodium erthorbate as an accelerator. It will make your snack sticks look better and last longer!

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics