Using Cellulose Casings and Humidity in a Smokehouse

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

PK 100 Video

Weekly Blog Post - Using Cellulose Casings and Humidity in a Smokehouse

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Adding Humidity To Your Smoker - We are going to be testing what the effect of adding a water pan to your smoker it by setting up a modified wet sock in our PK - 100 Smokehouse. To do this we are going to use Madgetech monitors and try to prove that adding a pan does, in fact, increase your relative humidity.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are continuing to shoot Meatgistics University Stuff and we have one category mostly done! That might not sound like much progress but it is, in my mind at least, the most difficult category and the one that needed to be done first. So after this hopefully it will be smoother sailing and we can look for a release date of early to mid-October and even sooner if we can manage it! I won’t say we are working around the clock on this but it is our main focus!

What’s on our Mind?

We finally got the PK 100 review done! I know a few people had requested this so I’m glad to finally be able to release it! We love this smoker, obviously, it is the main one we use at meatgistics so we are very familiar with it.

I am also finding more and more that I like Cellulose Casings. A skinless product might have a bit of bad name in some circles but the more I use these the more I find I really like them. I just experimented with just cutting them and not tying them. While it wasn’t perfect it saved me about 10-15 minutes of processing time!

New Products

While they aren’t all that new the Walton’s Boning Knives are a really good, inexpensive, boning knife that would be a nice addition to almost any home processors kit. It also helps you show of your Walton’s love!

• Background: Made garlic venison sausage using 25 mm cellulose casing. Mixed 2 to 1 ration of venison and hog jowls. I just added a garlic season mix and #1 pink salt. The plan was to smoke. First time user of cellulose casing. Stuffing went great and tied sections off with butchers twine. Had on blowout for 10# of meat. Just tied twine on both sides of blowout. Now the findings and need help. First thing I noticed after smoking for about an hour was the cases were full of liquid. I assume was melted fat. Then can the 2nd problem was how to measure meat temperature when using cellulose casings. What I did was to poke thru the casing to get temp. Well you can guess where all that liquid went. Right out that hole. So my thoughts that if I added a binder it should help with liquid. Assuming cooked to right temp. 2nd would be to make one link of sausage and tie my probe into link. Probe is designed to monitor meat. So I am open to others suggestions on a better way to use cellulose casing to reduce liquid in casing and measure meat during smoking. And oh by the way they turned out to be a snack stick size, quit taste but will break real easily. Help

• Regular Contributors

bruce rule
    If you are hanging sausages in the smoker, put your temp probe in at the top of a sausage and point it down.
    That will minimize the amount of juice/fat loss.

If you are getting a lot of fat/juice rendering out, you could have two different things going on.
    First, if it is fat rendering, your smoker may be too hot.

Second, if you have a lot of water, you may not be getting good protein extraction. Protein extraction happens when all the ingredients are thoroughly combined by mixing, which will bind up the protein, fat, and moisture together where they are not easily separated during thermal processing.

Note that either of these two issues can occur individually or together.

bruce rule yeah, I’d say your issue is partly you didn’t formulate any salt content so its very possible you didn’t have any protein extraction and your fat just rendered out. 1st thing I’d recommend is to use a packaged seasoning for smoked sausage. 2nd thing would be to use a binder and 3rd would be to look at your smoke schedule. processhead is right with how to place the probe, best way we’ve found to do it.

• All thanks. Which binder have you had success with? I see the new thing is the carrot extract but also read that is meant for non smoked or cooked sausage. Don’t know the truth.

BSRULE For cured sausage like snack sticks or summer I 100% recommend sure gel, for fresh brats or ethnic or something I recommend Carrot Fiber. Sure Gel is actually adding protein so it makes protein extraction easier and carrot fiber is just working on moisture retention, which isn’t always what we want when making a snack stick.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size