quick question, I have meat stabilizer, but I want to hold it in fridge till tomorrow to stuff and smoke, do I add stabilizer, and hold or just hold.

• I may have messed this up. Meat stabilizer is it a add and process product, or can you add it and hold overnight to process tomorrow?

• Walton's Employee

@jf549 It isn’t ideal to hold it overnight and then smoke it as it should be a right to the smokehouse process but it isn’t going to cause any health issues. The only thing I can see maybe happening is you might have a little bit of a dry and crumbly product around the edges after thermal processing.

I am sure you already went ahead and did this so let us know how it turned out!

• @jonathon
    Yes went ahead, pleased with sausage, new to this so still learning. I used a pork belly in the grind so plenty of fat moisture. Used Masterbuilt smoker with cold smoking attachment, 25 lbs is more than this smoker could handle, after 6 hours finished in oven till thermometer +160, and I wished I would have payed more attention to directions, and coarse ground beef instead of just running it through twice. Next time.

First time I used the 44lbs mixer to make sausage, very pleased, till now just used it to mix up raw food for dog.👍

• Walton's Employee

@jf549 Glad everything came out good! I have one question, you said you were using your cold smoking attachment. When you were smoking, did you add any heat or were you cold smoking? I don’t think 6 hours in a cold smoker (depending on outside temp) would have been enough to cause an issue as you added smoked meat stabilizer, I’m just curious if I was reading your process correctly.

• My fault, I followed the schedule 120 for thirty minutes, and bump up 10 degrees every thirty till 170, just took sausage a long time to get to temp, ran out of patience and put in oven after 5 plus hours in smoker

• Walton's Employee

@jf549 Thanks for the clarification! I don’t think it would have ruined it had you cold smoked it for 6 hours, I just wouldn’t have recommended it!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @rodneycaudill ok ok, y’all are convincing me. I will look more at the vacuum chamber. Thanks for y’alls input!

read more
  • R

I bought a chamber vacmaster vp 120 from waltons over a year ago, and it works great. just don’t get nothing inside the bag where it seals the bag.

read more
  • @Jonathon
    We’ll that was the first thing that came to mind the first batch i ever made. had a cold beer in hand and was sampling one and closed my eyes to savor the moment and the smoke aroma smelled just like i had a lit cigar in my mouth thus the term [meat cigars]

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics