quick question, I have meat stabilizer, but I want to hold it in fridge till tomorrow to stuff and smoke, do I add stabilizer, and hold or just hold.

• I may have messed this up. Meat stabilizer is it a add and process product, or can you add it and hold overnight to process tomorrow?

• Walton's Employee

@jf549 It isn’t ideal to hold it overnight and then smoke it as it should be a right to the smokehouse process but it isn’t going to cause any health issues. The only thing I can see maybe happening is you might have a little bit of a dry and crumbly product around the edges after thermal processing.

I am sure you already went ahead and did this so let us know how it turned out!

• @jonathon
    Yes went ahead, pleased with sausage, new to this so still learning. I used a pork belly in the grind so plenty of fat moisture. Used Masterbuilt smoker with cold smoking attachment, 25 lbs is more than this smoker could handle, after 6 hours finished in oven till thermometer +160, and I wished I would have payed more attention to directions, and coarse ground beef instead of just running it through twice. Next time.

First time I used the 44lbs mixer to make sausage, very pleased, till now just used it to mix up raw food for dog.👍

• Walton's Employee

@jf549 Glad everything came out good! I have one question, you said you were using your cold smoking attachment. When you were smoking, did you add any heat or were you cold smoking? I don’t think 6 hours in a cold smoker (depending on outside temp) would have been enough to cause an issue as you added smoked meat stabilizer, I’m just curious if I was reading your process correctly.

• My fault, I followed the schedule 120 for thirty minutes, and bump up 10 degrees every thirty till 170, just took sausage a long time to get to temp, ran out of patience and put in oven after 5 plus hours in smoker

• Walton's Employee

@jf549 Thanks for the clarification! I don’t think it would have ruined it had you cold smoked it for 6 hours, I just wouldn’t have recommended it!

Recent Posts

• B

Just a note on Brining. I use the 5 gal bucket liners at Walton’s and they save on mess. But for the buckets, I choose the 5 gal measure-right paint buckets which are food safe and available at Lowes. They even sell a nifty screw-on lid for them. alt text alt text

read more
  • P

@davhi8. After you take the hams out of the brine, rinse them of and put back in the fridge for at least 1 or 2 days to dry. Then they are ready to smoke.

read more
  • C

@austin Austin,
    Super & thank you very much. I will stick to the 1:1 with a little wine. Do you know off hand apx how many cups of Country Brown Sugar is in a pound for quick measuring? I am going to look into one of your containers for the future. Thank you again. Dave

read more
  • C

No Problem, I understand & can relate to that.

read more
  • D

My apologies folks! I am new to this forum and am not familiar with the way things are posted. I thought the question I responded to with Prague powder was directed at me.
    I will get used to the format and look forward to reading more.

read more
  • C

Austin,
    Super & thank you very much. I will stick to the 1:1 with a little wine. Do you know off hand apx how many cups of Country Brown Sugar is in a pound for quick measuring? I am going to look into one of your containers for the future. Thank you again. Dave

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.