Seasoning Size and Types of Fat

• Walton's Employee

Shakers

Weekly Blog Post - Seasoning Size and Types of Fat

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Bone Marrow! Will it BBQ?! - The meatgistics User Denny recently posted a question about how much bone marrow should be added to a burger per lb. Well, I had never done anything with bone marrow before so I decided to grab some and check out the process.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

I am going through all of our shakers and listing the particle size of each shaker on the website. This was in response to @21cedar asking what shakers would be good to use with snacks. The particle size will matter for this when trying to pick one to use for seasoning certain snacks. For example, when I smoke Cashews or Almonds the Salt and Vinegar works better than the Ultimate Steak and Roast Rub as the seasoning can stick to the nuts as it is smaller. This should be done sometime near the end of this week.

Other than that, Meatgistics University is still our main focus! We have completed Fresh Sausage and Cured Sausage and I really hope this new format helps people! All of the 101, 102, 103, etc. classes might be a little elementary for most of Meatgistics users but you still might pick up some good information and we need to get these early classes done so we can get into more complex classes.

What’s on our Mind?

I was talking to @Michael-Wright recently and he wanted to know about using Beef Fat instead of Pork Fat when making o a venison based (or other lean meat) sausage product. I’ve made beef brats in the past and there is a difference in the taste and texture when using beef, this is, in large part, due to the differences between pork fat and beef fat. Pork fat has a creamier texture to it and is, in general, a superior fat to use.

However, beef fat will work and would be used in the same proportions as pork fat, so, if you have a recipe that calls for 18 lb of venison and 7 b of pork fat, you can use 7 lb of beef fat in place of that. Lots of people avoid pork fat for health or religious purposes so I went through all the recipes on https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/category/16/how-to-make-meat-recipes and added beef fat as an option!

Oh, one other thing, we recently had a customer come through our retail store and he had some Lebanon Bologna that a customer made. He used Sure Gel and added some red pepper flakes and it was phenomenal! Definitely some of, maybe even the best product I have had from a customer since I have been here, so whoever you were if you see this let me know so I can give you credit!

New Products

• Thanks for the info on using beef fat in place of pork. Whenever I harvest a deer I do make a lot of sausage and never thought of using beef fat. It’s really good and will give it a try. Hopefully I will remember to post my results.

Recent Posts

• B

Cooked a batch of summmer in PK 100 casings are 1 7/8 by 12 cooked at 120 for one hour then 140 two hours then 180 tell internal of 152 but when I went to pull them the fat had liquefied any ideas

read more
  • T

Tom T from Boise, ID

read more
  • D

Oh… I ground the pork fat and the venison at the same time. 2 chunks of venison, 1 chunk of pork, back and forth…

read more
  • D

Yes… sure cure and sure gel binder. The venison and pork fat were both still partially frozen when I ground them. First through the large course plate, then again through the small plate. (Not sure of sizes, but these are the plates i normally use for summer sausage). I probably should have put the meat back in the freezer before seasoning but i was pressed for time. I mixed by hand for 14 or 15 minutes. I also think I might have added to much water. The video said 2 quarts for wild game 2 pints for fatty pork. I put in 1 quart and about another cup. I mixed until it got tacky and then mixed some more. The meat seemed soupy to me but the video said that would be ok.
    The shriveling occurred before I bumped the temp up. I was using a digital thermometer with a probe, when the temp stalled for a couple hours, I suspected the temp might be reading inaccurately so I opened the door to confirm with a dial thermometer. The digital was accurate but the sausage was already shriveling.
    Another thing that bothered me was the casings… these had perforations for some reason. I e never used perforated casings before and seemed like I was losing a pot of moisture through them. Did I have the wrong casings? The other fibrous casings in the catalog said you were supposed to poke them anyway.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.