Seasoning Size and Types of Fat

• Walton's Employee

Shakers

Weekly Blog Post - Seasoning Size and Types of Fat

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Bone Marrow! Will it BBQ?! - The meatgistics User Denny recently posted a question about how much bone marrow should be added to a burger per lb. Well, I had never done anything with bone marrow before so I decided to grab some and check out the process.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

I am going through all of our shakers and listing the particle size of each shaker on the website. This was in response to @21cedar asking what shakers would be good to use with snacks. The particle size will matter for this when trying to pick one to use for seasoning certain snacks. For example, when I smoke Cashews or Almonds the Salt and Vinegar works better than the Ultimate Steak and Roast Rub as the seasoning can stick to the nuts as it is smaller. This should be done sometime near the end of this week.

Other than that, Meatgistics University is still our main focus! We have completed Fresh Sausage and Cured Sausage and I really hope this new format helps people! All of the 101, 102, 103, etc. classes might be a little elementary for most of Meatgistics users but you still might pick up some good information and we need to get these early classes done so we can get into more complex classes.

What’s on our Mind?

I was talking to @Michael-Wright recently and he wanted to know about using Beef Fat instead of Pork Fat when making o a venison based (or other lean meat) sausage product. I’ve made beef brats in the past and there is a difference in the taste and texture when using beef, this is, in large part, due to the differences between pork fat and beef fat. Pork fat has a creamier texture to it and is, in general, a superior fat to use.

However, beef fat will work and would be used in the same proportions as pork fat, so, if you have a recipe that calls for 18 lb of venison and 7 b of pork fat, you can use 7 lb of beef fat in place of that. Lots of people avoid pork fat for health or religious purposes so I went through all the recipes on https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/category/16/how-to-make-meat-recipes and added beef fat as an option!

Oh, one other thing, we recently had a customer come through our retail store and he had some Lebanon Bologna that a customer made. He used Sure Gel and added some red pepper flakes and it was phenomenal! Definitely some of, maybe even the best product I have had from a customer since I have been here, so whoever you were if you see this let me know so I can give you credit!

New Products

• Thanks for the info on using beef fat in place of pork. Whenever I harvest a deer I do make a lot of sausage and never thought of using beef fat. It’s really good and will give it a try. Hopefully I will remember to post my results.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• That’s a great question but a difficult one to answer! Usually, Worcestershire Sauce will have a pH of 3.6 - 4.1 while Soy Sauce has 4.4 - 5.4. Negative pH (below 7) can cause denaturing in your meat and if you have something like the 3.6 (low range of the Worcestershire Sauce) it can cause issues even when added in smaller amounts.

If you look at the ingredients in Mandarin Teriyaki Snack Stick or Sweet Teriyaki Jerky (you can do this by scrolling down and then clicking on “Additional Info” button) you will see Soy Sauce as an ingredient, so it can absolutely be added, it just needs to be in the correct amount. This is a major reason that we recommend prepackaged seasonings, your at home recipe can be wonderful but it also has the potential to destroy your products.

So, if you are going to experiment with Sauces with a negative pH then my advice is to start at very low concentrations and work your way up till you find a good amount that provides the taste you are looking for and does not negatively affect your finished product.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

read more
  • J

Does soy sauce denature the meat like worcestershire sauce or is it ok to use in a meat stick?

read more
  • P

Try it on just smoke. That should work fine.

read more
  • P

I have tried a TF 34MM processed casing I got from Quality Casings. A 32MM HF and a 30MM TF, both clear processed, I got from Mar-Co Sales. Devro Is the brand I have now. I have been hanging them. the 30MM has been the best but still tougher than I want. Ideally I want a 32MM processed casing for my brats. Does Walton’s send out samples? I do have to order some other items.

read more
  • T

Re: Jerky
    Thank You

read more
  • C

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a couple of ideas your suggestions have given me.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.