New user question.

• I have a Walton 7.5” meat slicer but I can’t find any way to lock the thickness guide for constant thickness. Please help!

• Walton's Employee

@colomeatcutter I am assuming that when you are slicing the pressure you are applying to the carriage is moving the carriage down and making the gap, and therefore your slices, larger? I tried pushing the carriage down (or back depending on how you are orientated) and the carriage does not force the plate back. However, when I pressed directly on the plate I was able to make it move without turning the knob, it wasn’t easy but I could see how it would widen the gap over the course of slicing. It took a considerable amount of force though, more than I would think should be used to hold your meat in place.

The gauge plate has to be able to slide back somewhat, without that the way they have set this slicer up would not work. The only way I found to prevent it from moving backward was to use one hand to hold the knob in place.

Can you explain exactly what is happening in a little more detail? Maybe I have misunderstood the issue or am missing something that some extra information could help with.

• As I. push the carriage forward the slices get bigger and bigger even if I push only the carriage.

• Walton's Employee

@colomeatcutter Okay so the only thing I found that would keep it in place if it is sliding is to hold the knob as you slice. I was also able to slice without it moving though so it is possible that yours has somehow come looser than it should be. Just to be clear, this is a Weston 7.5" Slicer right? There is no such thing as a Walton’s 7.5 inch Slicer. Let me know and I can contact Weston to see if they have any idea what might be going on!

• Regular Contributors

This happens with just about every slicer even the higher end Hobarts will do it eventually. I think @Jonathon is right, you’ll have to hold it or drill a hole and pin it somehow. Key with any slicer is to keep the blade very sharp, if you partially freeze the meat, that will help keep it consistent but the ice crystals will also dull the blade. Just more sharpening.

• Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a couple of ideas your suggestions have given me.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• That’s a great question but a difficult one to answer! Usually, Worcestershire Sauce will have a pH of 3.6 - 4.1 while Soy Sauce has 4.4 - 5.4. Negative pH (below 7) can cause denaturing in your meat and if you have something like the 3.6 (low range of the Worcestershire Sauce) it can cause issues even when added in smaller amounts.

If you look at the ingredients in Mandarin Teriyaki Snack Stick or Sweet Teriyaki Jerky (you can do this by scrolling down and then clicking on “Additional Info” button) you will see Soy Sauce as an ingredient, so it can absolutely be added, it just needs to be in the correct amount. This is a major reason that we recommend prepackaged seasonings, your at home recipe can be wonderful but it also has the potential to destroy your products.

So, if you are going to experiment with Sauces with a negative pH then my advice is to start at very low concentrations and work your way up till you find a good amount that provides the taste you are looking for and does not negatively affect your finished product.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

read more
  • J

Does soy sauce denature the meat like worcestershire sauce or is it ok to use in a meat stick?

read more
  • P

Try it on just smoke. That should work fine.

read more
  • P

I have tried a TF 34MM processed casing I got from Quality Casings. A 32MM HF and a 30MM TF, both clear processed, I got from Mar-Co Sales. Devro Is the brand I have now. I have been hanging them. the 30MM has been the best but still tougher than I want. Ideally I want a 32MM processed casing for my brats. Does Walton’s send out samples? I do have to order some other items.

read more
  • T

Re: Jerky
    Thank You

read more
  • C

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a couple of ideas your suggestions have given me.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.