Stages of Smoking with Collagen

• I have been trying to use collagen casings for my Brats in our meat department. I can’t get them tender enough and it may be that I am not smoking them correctly. I have been using the same process that I did when I used Natural Casings. Stage 1 : low heat with fan for 30 min damper open. Stage 2 : Smoke at Medium heat for a hour and a half, RH 50%. Stage 3 : Steam to core temp of 160 degrees damper closed. RH at 85 %. Stage 4: Shower to temp of 70.
    Any changes I can make to get a more tender casing?

• Walton's Employee

@pinkfreud What collagen casings are you using, fresh, smoked or clear? How are you smoking it, are you hanging it or are you putting it on a smoke screen? Where are you getting your collagen from, different manufacturers have different quality product!

• I have tried a TF 34MM processed casing I got from Quality Casings. A 32MM HF and a 30MM TF, both clear processed, I got from Mar-Co Sales. Devro Is the brand I have now. I have been hanging them. the 30MM has been the best but still tougher than I want. Ideally I want a 32MM processed casing for my brats. Does Walton’s send out samples? I do have to order some other items.

Recent Posts

• D

@talleyho4 said in Sauerkraut:

Do you have a recipe to share?

Are you asking me?

read more
  • B

@yardapes11 @lamurscrappy @Jonathon @Austin
    1_1550947058460_CE56A3D4-AEC6-487D-8708-EBC6367A1DF9.jpeg 0_1550947058459_9E37575B-FEA0-45B9-9679-F227BF4765F0.jpeg summer sausage turned out great…did the hot water bath to finish

read more
  • L

@mcmillenbr Need some more details. 5 pound batch? How much water are you using? I have never had water run out.

read more
  • M

@austin
    I tried making snack sticks for the second time. This time I added citric acid for some tang. The mix never got sticky and when I stuffed the casing it was not smooth and the water seperated and ran out on the counter top. The meat was like little seperated lumps in the casings. After cooking, they tasted good, but the texture was like compressed saw dust.

read more
  • T

Do you have a recipe to share?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.