General Tso

• Hello , can this be used as a seasoning for snack sticks?I think the flavors would be great . thanks leland

• Walton's Employee

@Leland I saw this question through Walton’s website and replied there as well but basically, I don’t think it is going to work. I just don’t see this as having the correct salt content. As it is designed for a marinade and not a snack stick, I think getting the proper level of protein extraction would be very difficult as salt plays a key role in that process and it is critical when making a product like snack sticks or you will “fat out”.

Having said that, General Tso is probably my favorite new seasoning so I am absolutely going to give it a try in the next few weeks! Just be patient as I am trying my best to finish up all the Meatgistics University Videos (there are a lot) before the busy season.

• Thank you leland

• Walton's Employee

@Leland We made them today! We had to make some changes to the seasoning composition to have the correct salt content (fancy way of saying we added some extra salt!) and the taste was excellent! Im not sure where it would go in my ist of favorite snack sticks but it would be in the top 10 no question. I think I actually liked them better than I like the chicken I marinated in the General Tso’s.

We should have the video edited, uploaded and live in the next few weeks.

We appreciate you guys being patient with us, we know we haven’t been releasing anything recently but that will all pay off around October 22nd when we go live with almost 30 Meatgistics University videos at once!

Recent Posts

• D

My summer sausage is sticking to the casings

read more
  • @srtcanopy Out of all the imitation we made I think Turkey was my favorite in that it was unique, the ham and beef tasted VERY close to normal bacon, the turkey tasted like something else. I really liked it…speaking of that I have some in my freezer!

read more
  • @gadahl SHHH dont tell anyone I have too much time on my hands, ESPECIALLY Austin, as far as he is concerned I am 100% busy at ALL TIMES!

I actually just made some dry rubbed bacon for our Cured Whole Muscle Section of the new Meatgistics University! Videos for all the Meatgistics University classes are going live this Monday around 4 pm CST. If you are free join us at waltonsinc.com/live for a live stream where we will being giving away a stuffer, some Waltons hats, some discount codes and we will also be giving out a coupon code so everyone gets something!

read more
  • @Paynester We did both at basically the same time last year and I absolutely thought the one that we injected with a soluble cure was better. However, I just did a dry rubbed belly and it came out different then how I remember it from last year (less salty and I even said it tasted exactly like normal store bought bacon) so it might have been something I did differently.

Can you give me some more information on your process for the dry rubbed? Did you use the Excalibur Dry Rub Cure or something else? How long did you hold it, how much cure did you use, did you rub the fat cap and remove the skin? More information the better!

read more
  • @21cedar That’s a great question on the phospshates, I have never thought of that. Let me talk to some people next week and see if there is a scientific reason behind it. I’ll warn you though it probably wont be until later in the week. We are working around the clock to get Meatgistics University ready for our 4 PM (CST) live time on Monday! We’ll have it all ready, just don’t be surprised if you tune in to our live stream at waltonsinc.com/live and Austin and I look a little haggard!

read more
  • @stan I did a video where I went over how to use a grinder as a stuffer (you can view it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIsG8Fp6bw) and some of the disadvantages of it. There are three disadvantages I can think of off of the top of my head right now, it will be a lot slower doing it this way, you won’t be able to stuff really small diameter casings and I dont think it pushes the meat down consistently enough to fill the casings as well as a hand crank stuffer will do.

Those are my thoughts, anyone got a differing opinion or another reason a stuffer is superior?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.