Using the conversion chart

• I maybe missing something reading the chart, but for 1 lb of meat, it shows multiple 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon listings, but the weights are all different, .6 oz, .06 oz, can you tell me what I’m missing. Thank You.

• Walton's Employee

@loadpin To make sure we are talking about the same thing, at the Seasoning Conversion Chart the 6th from the top is Andouille Cajun Seasoning, it shows it is 1tbsp and 1 tsp to get to .94 oz for 1 lb of meat and just below that is Apple Bratwurst Seasoning that is 1tbsp and 1 tsp to get to .6 oz for 1 lb of meat? The two both require the same volume measurement (1 tbspn + 1 tspn) but have different weight measurements because they have different densities.

I hope I understood and answered your question?

Recent Posts

• J

@stan 'll echo the statements of others. Using your meat grinder to stuff can be labor intensive and slow going. An extra set of hands is almost required.

read more
  • Meatgistics University Video Weekly Blog Post - Meatgistics University is Live!

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Well, we just released 44 videos yesterday on our youtube page! I put them all into a playlist that you can view here (https://www.youtube.com/user/WaltonsTV/playlists) but probably the easiest way to digest this information is by going to Meatgistics University Home Page where we have everything listed out by category, then once you click into that category we have individual posts and videos on topics.

But we will be releasing Will It BBQ? Squid this week and then the Octopus one the following week. We have a couple other videos done and ready but we will wait on those a while to give everyone a chance to digest some of the information from Meatgistics University first.

I posted the link to the Livestream for anyone who missed it yesterday. There are still some unused 10% off coupon codes so watch the video if you are about to order and want 10% off your order. We also have a $10 coupon code in that video that will be good for everyone through 11/30.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

Advanced Meatgistics U classes. I am really excited for the 201, 202.etc, classes as we will get to talk more about tips and tricks for making better products and we will be able to show some more examples of what we are talking about. For some of the introductory classes, there wasn’t any way to show you what we were talking about, too much of it was just me talking. We will be fixing that in future classes but that will mean that the videos will be more spread out, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!

What’s on our Mind?

The Livestream went very well last night, especially for our first effort, we had 1,000 people on the site at one time or another and we received excellent questions from those visitors. We will have some more clear instructions with how to work the chat next time as well as there was some confusion between the chat for the Livestream and Walton’s Customer Support Chat. Luckily our excellent customer service team did a great job and was able to direct most people to the correct place to ask your questions. So a big thank you to them! We also got a few good ideas for future videos from viewers questions.

New Products

Blue Head Cheese Casings one of the specialty sausages we are eventually going to get to is Head Cheese. When we do it we will absolutely be using these headcheese casings and these hold about 8 lb each so we will have plenty of it!

read more
  • @raider2119 I’ve never used apple cider either. It might well work but I would think spraying it from a spritzer bottle occasionally onto your meat would be more effective.

I’ve changed to Pecan for almost everything, its a little too mild for some people but I think it is the most versatile of them all. Never had a problem with Beef, Pork, Chicken or veggies!

And @raider2119 thanks for joining us for our livestream last night, it was a good time and we will be doing more of them!

read more
  • @Douglas-Moore If you used duck did you cook up to 165°? If you are using ground poultry you should be cooking to 165 instead of 160° if you are using beef/pork. Another idea is when did you mix in the pork fat? When adding pork fat the best time to add it is during the grinding process if you are mixing it in after the grinding you run the risk of having the fat encapsulate the proteins and make it difficult for everything to bind together properly.

Last thought would be to add a binder like Sure Gel or Soy Protein Blend that will add some protein to your product and make protein extraction easier. If you are looking to firm it up more I don’t know that Carrot Fiber would be the best choice.

read more
  • R

Just an FYI, everybody that received snack sticks for Christmas last year loved them… I just ordered another batch of Willie’s Snack Stick spice blend to do it again this year!

read more
  • R

Jonathon, I have to agree that 275 is too hot… If you have the time I’d shoot for 225, but if it needs to be “done”, then 250 would be the max I would do…

I have always filled the water pan for everything I smoke… 2 reasons, first it does tend to add moisture during the long cook thus keeping the bark from turning to shoe leather… and second because the water pan acts as a heat sink and helps maintain the temperature (in my vertical propane smoker) a bit more accurately… I’ve heard folks tout using apple juice in the water pan to impart a sweeter flavor, but I’ve never tried it…

On the other hand, my dad smoked for years, mostly in a converted fridge with an electric hotplate in the bottom… he never used a water pan and never had an issue with dry meat…

As for the type of wood to use, that’s just a trial and error, personal preference thing… I happen to like steaks cooked with oak… that may be too strong a flavor for your taste (my GF hates it)… Recently I have been using a lot of maple for NC bbq, chicken and even cheese… I like the maple for the meats, but next batch of cheese will go back to the hickory / cherry mix that I was using…

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.