Summer sausage multi colored & sticking!

• Grrrrr! I used seasoning and soy protein at proper amounts and hand mixed for approximately 30 min. Stuffed tight and set in Rtic cooler full of ice packs for 10 hrs. I used 18 bbn lbs venison as 7 lbs ground pork butts and am thinking the pork was a bit leaner than it needed to be? Put on Camp Chef pellet grill and set to 200. Temps were running right at 181 consistently. Internal temps were all averaging 160 when I pulled them and immediately dumped into ice bath. Let set 20 min. Sliced open and its beautifully pinks as it should be around edges, but it has grey middles and the casings are sticking to meat. Tastes and smells great! What did I do wrong? Concerned that its safe to eat? Never had this issue, but it is first time I’ve done them on the pellet smoker. Thank you!!

• Walton's Employee

@KSHusker First, yes they should be safe to eat. You cooked them to 160° which will kill anything harmful. Now, obviously use common sense and your senses, if it smells bad don’t eat it!

The first thing to know is if you used sure cure (or another version) or not? From the sounds of it, you did but I just want to make sure we are looking at all possibilities. Were the butts untrimmed? If they had a nice fat cap on them then you should have been okay, I still like to use a little more fat than that but you should have been in the realm. How did you mix it, was it by hand? If you mixed for 30 minutes in a meat mixer that is a long time to be mixing it (I don’t think this was your issue, just pointing it out). Starting at 200 is a little high but it also sounds like it came down to 180° pretty quickly but this would be my thought on why the casing stuck, cooking too high can cause this.

For the color, the only thing I can think of (if you used a cure) is that it looks pinker around the edges because you got a nice smoke ring around it? How deep does the nice pink color go and what type of casing did you use? With wild game, I always use some sort of cure accelerator, either Encapsulated Citric Acid, Smoked Meat Stabilizer or something, it helps burn the color more and then you can skip holding it overnight and go right from stuffing to the smokehouse.

Anyone else have thoughts?

• I’ve had that happen. It’s due to oxidation before cooking. The meat on the outside will absorb oxygen from the air after stuffing but before cooking when you let them rest in casings that long. I know direction but, I’ve found that a 1 hour stay in the deep freeze is better than over night int he refrigerator, then right to cooking/smoking, then ice bath after. More uniform color that way. Te bicolored stuff is fine to eat, just doesn’t look as pretty on crackers.

I don’t use an accelerator, just a good mixing and cold.

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    It is good.
    We like to serve a chub on a small bed of rice next to 4-5 bang bang shrimp.

Everyone loves it.

read more
  • T

Hi All, Im New to the Group, I am wondering which class of NTEP scale is necessary for measuring sure cure per haccp protocol. It looks like these scales are rated as I,II,III class and very in price dramatically

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell
    thanks for the info, I had not heard of this until 3 years ago and I think the reason it was brined was to cure or preserve it while
    frozen. A friend of a friend makes these after hunting season so they can be taken out of the freezer and sliced up for snacks and they are fantastic but he wont share the recipe. When they are unthawed even after many months they are still perfect.
    Have you tried freezing any portion and is it still as good when first made?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

10 users active right now (0 members and 10 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dosmondson.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.