Fresh Sausage 103 - Casings For Breakfast Sausage

• Walton's Employee

Fresh Sausage

Fresh Sausage 103 - Casings For Breakfast Sausage

Attend this entry-level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Hog Casings
    Hog Casings

What Types Of Breakfast Sausage Are There?

Breakfast Sausage comes in three varieties, Link, Ground, and Patty. Ground Sausage is simply stuffed into a Pork Sausage Bags and then cooked in a pan or griddle whenever desired. Patties can either be formed from Ground Sausage or stuffed into Poly Tubing, frozen and then cut to the desired width before cooking. The most common though will be stuffed into links.

What Type Of Casing Should I Use For Links

Since breakfast sausage is as fresh sausage that is generally stuffed into a small diameter sausage the 21mm Fresh Collagen is a perfect choice. The Fresh Collagen has the most tender bite of all of the collagen casings, it is a perfect size and they are available in small packages of just 3 strands at a time.

The other option for Breakfast Links would be 22-24mm Sheep Casings. The slight increase in diameter from the 21mm Collagen will hardly be noticeable. Natural Sheep Casings have a very nice tender bite and as most Breakfast Sausage will be pan-fried these casings work well as they have some elasticity to them so they will not split easily when the meat expands.

Advantages and Disadvantages To Collagen and Natural.

The main advantage of Collagen over Natural Sheep Casings is that Collagen does not require any preparation, you simply remove it from the package, load it onto your stuffing tube and begin stuffing. Collagen casings are also stronger and less prone to blowouts when stuffing than Sheep Casings are. The main disadvantage to Collagen casings is that they will not hold a twist, once you cut them to separate them they will come unraveled.

Sheep Casings main advantage is that it does hold a twist once cut, this gives it an advantage in appearance. Its major disadvantages are that they have to be rinsed and soaked (and sometimes flushed) and they are more susceptible to blowouts during the stuffing process.

Other Notes

Both Pork Sausage Bags and the Poly Tubing require no preparation.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Poly Bag Sealers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Holly Regular Pork Sausage Seasoning

Recent Posts

• @PapaSop He’ll come around, have to try it a time or two and then realize how simple it is to nail it everytime and he will be happy to do it!

read more
  • @Jonathon
    Lol. My son just got the reverse sear nailed down and now I have to show him something new. Can already see the look on his face.

read more
  • If I had a pond like that in my backyard I’d never leave home!

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (1 members and 11 guests).
erich52, uncowboy, journeyman1955

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, kirby50.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.