Cured Sausage 107 - Basics For Making Summer Sausage

• Walton's Employee

Cured Sausage

Cured Sausage 107 - Basics For Making Summer Sausage

Attend this entry-level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Summer Prep
    Mixing
    Protein Extraction
    Summer Sausage Stuffing

What Is Summer Sausage?

Summer Sausage is a semi-dried sausage that is typically stuffed into a larger diameter fibrous casing. It can be made from beef, pork, wild game or some combination of meat. Some people are intimidated by making it but the most basic steps can be done by almost any home processor.

Meat Block

10 lb of Untrimmed Pork Butts
    1 Bag of H-Summer Sausage
    1 oz of Sure Cure (Included with purchase)

Equipment

Weston #12 Butcher Series Grinder
    Weston 20 lb Meat Mixer
    Walton’s 11 lb Sausage Stuffer

Casing Preparation

Before you begin processing take your casings out of the package and soak in warm water for an hour to make them pliable for stuffing so do this early enough in the process to prevent any delays later.

Process

The first thing you need to do is to grind your meat. Make sure you have oiled your plates and knives before starting your grinder. You will want to grind the meat twice, the first grind should be through a 3/8 plate and then with a 1/8 plate. Remember to keep your meat cold through this process. You can also simply purchase ground pork, it is readily available just make sure you aren’t buying lean pork, you want and need the fat.

Meat Mixing

Next, you need to mix the seasoning and cure into your meat. To do this you can either use a meat mixer or do it by hand. Because this is a product that we are going to cure and smoke we need to achieve a high level of protein extraction so doing this with your hands is difficult but can be done. When using a mixer add the meat to the mixer, then the seasoning and cure and finally the water, you will want to mix in both directions until all seasoning and cure has been mixed in and you have good protein extraction. You will know that a good level of protein extraction has been achieved when the meat is sticky and tacky if you can pull a handful of it apart and it stretches that is a good sign.

Sausage Stuffing

Next, choose the largest stuffing tube that your casings will fit over and begin stuffing. Stuff until the casings are full and smooth but leave yourself enough room on the end to close with a hog ring. To close with a hog ring twist the end and then put a hog ring over the twist and crimp it down.

Note

When you are done stuffing the product has to be held in the refrigerator overnight to allow the cure time to work. If you added Encapsulated Citric Acid or other cure accelerators you skip this step.

Thermal Processing & Smoking

Set up your smoker and hang your sausage on smoke sticks or lay on racks and smoke at
    125F for 1 hour
    140F for 1 hour
    155F for 2 hours
    175F until internal meat temp of 160F

When they have reached 160° internal temperature remove from the smoker and put them in an ice bath to bring the heat down and help set the casing.

Cooling

Lastly, leave them out at room temperature for about an hour before vacuum packing them, this will ensure you don’t get additional moisture in the vacuum bag which would affect the shelf life of your meats.

Wrap up

In later classes, we will go over these and more advanced steps in greater detail for making Snack Sticks.

Other Notes

Depending on your pH and your Water Activity your sticks might be shelf stable but without a way to test this you should vacuum pack and refrigerate these.

Watch WaltonsTV: Basics For Making Summer Sausage

Shop waltonsinc.com for Bratwurst Seasoning

Shop waltonsinc.com for Meat Grinders

Shop waltonsinc.com for High-Temp Cheese

Shop waltonsinc.com for Boning Knives

Recent Posts

• D

@Jonathon great advice, keep it simple

read more
  • Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe

Learn how to make Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Shaping the Dough Add to Baking Stone Pizza Slice Ingredients

During one of our recent livestreams, Big John offered to give us a great pizza dough recipe. He claimed it would give me a leg up on Austin when we eventually do our pizza competition. Well, I wanted to try it so I made some pepperoni here while I was propping open the door to try to get the temp to hold at 120° and then I finished them up in our sous vide cooker.

So his recipe called for 4 cups of King Arthur all-purpose flour but I decided to use the one specifically for pizza crusts, 2 packs of dry yeast, not the rapid rise kind, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

Steps for Dough

Take the 2 packs of yeast and mix with 1-1/2 cups of warm water. Then mix the rest of the ingredients in an oiled bowl, make sure everything is nice and mixed in and then transfer to a clean oiled bowl, cover with some plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour. Then put it in the fridge overnight.

Then the next day make another batch and mix them together, this was a tip from him that really seems to work out well! Then you can split them into batches and you can freeze them for up to 3 months but just know that he says the longer you leave them in the freezer they will not be as good!

Cooking Directions

Now, we are using a pizza stone so we are warming it up for an hour at 500°. I like to form the dough into a circle, now I am not perfect at this so it is more of a circle like shape than a true circle and then put it on the stone for 1-2 minutes to firm it up a little more. This will make adding the topping a lot better in my mind.

Now add your sauce, cheese, and any other toppings. I like to sprinkle some Garlic Romano Wing Sauce onto mine while it cooks, it is very good on pizza. We have cut our pepperoni pretty thin and we will put a good amount of that on top of the cheese.

Then lower the temp to 400 put your pizza in there and cook for about 8-10 minutes or just until the pizza dough is as hard as you like it and just as the cheese starts to turn brown in a few spots.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Excalibur Shakers Shop waltonsinc.com for Round Baking Stone Watch WaltonsTV: Big John’s Pizza Dough Recipe

Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Round Baking Stone Pepperoni Seasoning

read more
  • It could be somewhere in the area I highlighted in green.

I have most of my notifications turned off and might get an email once per day. It depends on posting activity.

notifications.jpg

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
pepper, Tex_77, Joe Hell

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.0k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 5.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, neomirav.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.