Sausage Casings 103 - Preparing Your Casings

• Walton's Employee

Sausage Casing

Sausage Casings 103 - Preparing Your Casings

Attend this entry level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Beef Middles
    xxxxx

Preparing Casings

These casings are all made from different materials, are best suited for different products and have different preparation requirements.

Edible Collagen

Most types of collagen are edible and require no preparation or cleaning before being ready for use. All you have to do is take them out of the package, put them on the stuffing tube and stuff them, the moisture from the meat will rehydrate them during the cooking process so they will not have that tough dry texture that they do before being used.

Inedible Collagen

For nonedible collagen, the rule of 15s comes into play. They must be soaked for 15 minutes in a 15% salt solution that is 15° C (59° F) before they can be used for stuffing. With any type of collagen blowouts are of medium concern, you need to make sure you don’t overstuff your casings or you will have blowouts either during stuffing or when linking.

Cellulose Casings

Cellulose Casings are made from plant material and are ready for use right out of the package, just put them on the stuffing tube and begin stuffing. These casings are inedible and must be removed either before or after the cooking process. Luckily they have a thick black stripe down them to allow you to easily determine if the casing has been removed or not. These casings are very strong and blowouts are not a concern.

Fibrous Casings

Fibrous Casings are a dried paper-like casing that needs to be rehydrated before they are suitable for use. To do this fill a bowl with 80-100° and let them soak for 30-60 minutes. When they are ready for use they should be pliable but not soggy. We recommend that you only soak as many casings as you will need but if you do soak too many you can simply allow extras to dry out and then use them again in the future. Fibrous Casings are very strong and blowouts should not be a concern.

Natural Hog or Sheep Casings

100 Yard “Hank” - If you purchased the 100-yard hank of hog or sheep casings you only need to rinse the outside and then soak the casings in hot water for an hour, there is no need to flush them. Natural casings are a natural casing and therefore they are prone to blowouts, you need to be careful not to overstuff the casings or you can have blowouts either when stuffing or when linking.

Home Pack - If you purchased home pack hog or sheep casings they will be in a bag and packed with salt. You will need to flush these casings by allowing water to run all the way through them, then you will need to rinse any salt off of the outside of the casing and then soak them in hot water for 1 hour prior to stuffing.

Tubed Natural Casing - If you have the tubed sheep or hog casings they only need to be soaked as well as they have been flushed already. When loading these onto the stuffing tubes you will place the plastic sleeve over the tube and then thread the rest of the casing on. Once your casing is fully loaded you need to grab the plastic sleeve and pull it out from between the casing and the tube, it should all come out fairly easily.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Collagen Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Fibrous Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Natural Casings

Recent Posts

• C

@jonathon Black Bull, the name makes it sound like it would be a winner. Yes, I have done the injecting as well. I forgot about that. I thought the overall flavor was a little better with the brine, then a pat down, & the dry rub to finish it off.
    The Alabama trick. Well, more like the Dave trick, but definitely from Alabama. Occasionally I will add a can of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale to my brine or injection liquid. Buffalo Rock, to my knowledge only available in Alabama. It is some real serious stuff No liquor though, but serious stuff. Just about like what Coke used to be. You either like this stuff o you don’t. We like it. We have let some folks try it & they definitely did not like it. I have never found an in between. I have never found a Ginger Ale quite like it in all my travels either. A few have been close, maybe, but not there. I few folks thought that some particular variety might be similar, but them having not tried both the Buffalo Rock & their brand, there is no comparison. How they got the name Buffalo Rock in Alabama. either I don’t remember or never learned. It seems to me that it might have been some sort of Texas thing, probably because I am thinking of Buffalo Gap, Texas. But, the fact of the matter is it apparently started over 150 years ago, but in Alabama. Good stuff!

read more
  • D

@danbow

Austin… Her sausage doesnt have the crust you speak of. Maybe the aluminum foil is what prevents that and also holds in the moisture. that keeps the consistency good.

read more
  • @jonathon ![alt text0_1544482249284_IMG_0823.jpeg
    Ribeyes

read more
  • That makes sense. May also be why the switch does not lock in reverse. Acts more like a pulse switch. I avoided using it with mixer just to be safe. Didn’t want to chance wrecking it. I did grind 20# of venison in less than two minutes. Great piece of equipment! Don’t know why I waited so long to get one. Quiet, smooth and efficient. If you’re able to find out more, please share. Thanks Austin.

read more
  • @gerygaub Absolutely, that is what I have done with the bellies in the past they always turn out fantastic! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

read more
  • G

So I can vacuum seal the belly with the vac sealer and after the 5 to 7 days remove it and smoke it?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.