Sausage Casings 101 - Sausage Casings Basics

• Walton's Employee

Sausage Casing

Sausage Casings 101 - Sausage Casings Basics

Attend this entry level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Sausage Casings

Why Use A Sausage Casing?

Any casing, whether it is a natural, collagen or fibrous is going to offer some uniformity to the diameter of your product. This is important because it will allow the product to cook evenly. If you had a product that was half-again as thick in some areas than others then the thinner parts would be overcooked before the thicker parts were safe to eat. In commercial processing, uniformity is even more important for appearance and to be able to consistently track the amount of sausage being produced.

Appearance

Casings also give sausage a certain look, it is generally easy to determine what casing was used to make a sausage vs when it has been extruded. Natural casings will often have a curve in them that can be anywhere from slight to fairly extreme while collagen casings will be more uniform and straight.

Mouth Feel

Mouth Feel is a term that refers to the sensations associated with eating certain types of foods. For casings, this will be determined by a few factors, some of which will depend on cook cycle but to keep things simple Collagen will have less of a snap than natural casings will. In surveys, it was found that the reduced snap of collagen was generally preferred to natural casings. Different types or variants of collagen casings will also have a different mouthfeel as they have different levels of toughness.

Inedible Casings

Some types of sausage casings, such as cellulose, are inedible and are made to be peeled off after thermal processing but before consumption. These cellulose casings have a stripe down the middle to let you easily identify if the casing has been peeled or not yet. However, these ring bologna casings are also an inedible collagen but that do not have any markings on them so you have to be careful when using these. Trying to consume inedible collagen isn’t going to be harmful but it will give you a very tough and chewy bite.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Collagen Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Fibrous Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Natural Casings

• How can you keep your collagen casings from splitting while on the grill? I made brats last week with collagen casings and they are practically exploding on the grill.

• Power User

@rwalker24 Poke several holes and go low and slow!

• @joe-hell I will try that. Thank you

• Walton's Employee

@RWalker24 Another thing that might be happening is overstuffing them? @Joe-Hell is correct though, poking a few holes to allow pressure to bleed out will absolutely help prevent the burst casings.

• Power User

One method I have been using lately, in addition to poking holes, is to fire up my smoker at 225 and cooking them (with or without smoke) until they hit an internal temp of around 150-155 (about an hour) and then finishing them on the grill to add some color until they reach 165.

Recent Posts

• D

@Jonathon great advice, keep it simple

read more
  • Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe

Learn how to make Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Shaping the Dough Add to Baking Stone Pizza Slice Ingredients

During one of our recent livestreams, Big John offered to give us a great pizza dough recipe. He claimed it would give me a leg up on Austin when we eventually do our pizza competition. Well, I wanted to try it so I made some pepperoni here while I was propping open the door to try to get the temp to hold at 120° and then I finished them up in our sous vide cooker.

So his recipe called for 4 cups of King Arthur all-purpose flour but I decided to use the one specifically for pizza crusts, 2 packs of dry yeast, not the rapid rise kind, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

Steps for Dough

Take the 2 packs of yeast and mix with 1-1/2 cups of warm water. Then mix the rest of the ingredients in an oiled bowl, make sure everything is nice and mixed in and then transfer to a clean oiled bowl, cover with some plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour. Then put it in the fridge overnight.

Then the next day make another batch and mix them together, this was a tip from him that really seems to work out well! Then you can split them into batches and you can freeze them for up to 3 months but just know that he says the longer you leave them in the freezer they will not be as good!

Cooking Directions

Now, we are using a pizza stone so we are warming it up for an hour at 500°. I like to form the dough into a circle, now I am not perfect at this so it is more of a circle like shape than a true circle and then put it on the stone for 1-2 minutes to firm it up a little more. This will make adding the topping a lot better in my mind.

Now add your sauce, cheese, and any other toppings. I like to sprinkle some Garlic Romano Wing Sauce onto mine while it cooks, it is very good on pizza. We have cut our pepperoni pretty thin and we will put a good amount of that on top of the cheese.

Then lower the temp to 400 put your pizza in there and cook for about 8-10 minutes or just until the pizza dough is as hard as you like it and just as the cheese starts to turn brown in a few spots.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Excalibur Shakers Shop waltonsinc.com for Round Baking Stone Watch WaltonsTV: Big John’s Pizza Dough Recipe

Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Round Baking Stone Pepperoni Seasoning

read more
  • It could be somewhere in the area I highlighted in green.

I have most of my notifications turned off and might get an email once per day. It depends on posting activity.

notifications.jpg

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
Joe Hell, markgolding

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.0k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 5.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, neomirav.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.