Sausage Casings 101 - Sausage Casings Basics

• Walton's Employee

Sausage Casing

Sausage Casings 101 - Sausage Casings Basics

Attend this entry level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Sausage Casings

Why Use A Sausage Casing?

Any casing, whether it is a natural, collagen or fibrous is going to offer some uniformity to the diameter of your product. This is important because it will allow the product to cook evenly. If you had a product that was half-again as thick in some areas than others then the thinner parts would be overcooked before the thicker parts were safe to eat. In commercial processing, uniformity is even more important for appearance and to be able to consistently track the amount of sausage being produced.

Appearance

Casings also give sausage a certain look, it is generally easy to determine what casing was used to make a sausage vs when it has been extruded. Natural casings will often have a curve in them that can be anywhere from slight to fairly extreme while collagen casings will be more uniform and straight.

Mouth Feel

Mouth Feel is a term that refers to the sensations associated with eating certain types of foods. For casings, this will be determined by a few factors, some of which will depend on cook cycle but to keep things simple Collagen will have less of a snap than natural casings will. In surveys, it was found that the reduced snap of collagen was generally preferred to natural casings. Different types or variants of collagen casings will also have a different mouthfeel as they have different levels of toughness.

Inedible Casings

Some types of sausage casings, such as cellulose, are inedible and are made to be peeled off after thermal processing but before consumption. These cellulose casings have a stripe down the middle to let you easily identify if the casing has been peeled or not yet. However, these ring bologna casings are also an inedible collagen but that do not have any markings on them so you have to be careful when using these. Trying to consume inedible collagen isn’t going to be harmful but it will give you a very tough and chewy bite.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Collagen Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Fibrous Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Natural Casings

• How can you keep your collagen casings from splitting while on the grill? I made brats last week with collagen casings and they are practically exploding on the grill.

• Power User

@rwalker24 Poke several holes and go low and slow!

• @joe-hell I will try that. Thank you

• Walton's Employee

@RWalker24 Another thing that might be happening is overstuffing them? @Joe-Hell is correct though, poking a few holes to allow pressure to bleed out will absolutely help prevent the burst casings.

• Power User

One method I have been using lately, in addition to poking holes, is to fire up my smoker at 225 and cooking them (with or without smoke) until they hit an internal temp of around 150-155 (about an hour) and then finishing them on the grill to add some color until they reach 165.

Recent Posts

• D

@rhjbarney
    Thanks, I was hoping to stay with 110 v, but I’m learning it may require 220 v for the large chamber I have. I appreciate the assistance.

read more
  • J

@Jonathon How would you suggest to mix in fat with pre packaged ground venison? We butcher and prepack ground venison into 1 lb packages. Should we regrind the venison with the fat using a smaller diameter plate? or grind the fat separate and mix using a mixer? I assume the better option would also be true for snack sticks.

read more
  • Time for a cat fish & hush puppy fry.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

16 users active right now (1 members and 15 guests).
Dave R, uncowboy, kdub, justinslater83, AdamCA, Joe Hell, kmelody

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wayne.113069.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.