Mango Habanero Jerky

• Regular Contributors

I did a little experiment yesterday. I wanted to make some ground and formed jerky using the Mango Habanero Brat seasoning, I should have bought some lean ground beef but just used some ground pork I had on hand so it was a little greasy. I used the seasoning at the same ratio for the brats and added the appropriate amount of cure, formed into strips and heated in the oven prior to going in the dehydrator. Next time I’ll use the smoker for the precook but I was short on time. The jerky has a pretty good texture, and looks great. The sweetness is less than it was in the brats but the heat is just about right for a good jerky. Will definitely be worth doing again.
    My biggest issue was the jerky really stuck to my plastic trays, any suggestions for that?! 0_1471884315411_IMG_1387[1].JPG

• Admin

Do you mean the plastic trays in the dehydrator?

• Regular Contributors

yes, the dehydrator trays. I mean really stuck :(

• Admin

@Gomez
    Hmm… Most dehydrators have “non-stick” trays. If it is an older unit, maybe it is something that has partially worn off over time.

My only suggestion is to try a non-stick cooking spray. It shouldn’t hurt the meat, but I don’t know how effective it would really be.

• Regular Contributors

That could be, it’s at least 10 years old. I thought there would be enough fat in the pork I used to keep it from sticking but it didn’t.
    I’m not sure I can talk the CFO into a new one though. LOL

• Admin

@Gomez
    With jerky, you just dry it out so much that even with fattier meat, you could still have a problem there.

If the CFO doesn’t go for a new one, definitely give the non-stick cooking spray a shot! Couldn’t hurt anyways.

• @Gomez Might be sticking because of the sugar in the seasoning. You might try drying it in the oven on parchment paper sprayed with non stick spray (pam) then transfer to your trays also sprayed. But I am guessing it is the sugar that is giving you the trouble.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.