Smoked Meats 103 - Benefits of Marinating Meat

• Walton's Employee

Smoked Meat

Smoked Meats 103 - Benefits of Marinating Meat

Attend this entry level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Slicer
    Marinated Tenderloin

Why Marinate?

As you cook any meat you are going to have a fair amount of moisture loss. This happens because as the meat is heated up the muscle fiber expel water and that is pushed to the surface of the meat where it evaporates. Different meats will lose different amounts of weight through cooking but a lot of cuts of beef can lose up to 25% of it’s starting weight during a cooking process, mostly due to moisture loss. A good way to combat this is to marinate your meat before grilling or smoking it. This is not only going to impart a flavor but will also increase the water content of the meat so you will have a moister finished product, especially if you use phosphates.

What Do Phosphates Do?

Phosphates work by increasing the pH level of the meat and move it farther away from the isoelectric point of 5.2 which is what most meat starts at. Isoelectric means that the meat has no electric charge or difference in electric potential, so there are no negative ions for the water to bind too. However, when we move the pH we are creating negative protein charges, the water will then bind to these and increase the water holding capacity of the meat. In short, it means that you can pump more water into your meat and it will stay there throughout the cooking process. An important note is that no other pH altering substance should be added.

Can I Add Phosphates?

Yes, Cold Phosphate can be added to any marinade to help it increase the water holding capacity of your meat. When adding phosphates you need to be sure that the marinade, or seasoning, that you are using does not already contain any type of phosphates. The maximum usage of phosphates is 2 oz per 25 lb of meat if you go over that amount you might notice a slight soapy taste, so be careful.

How Long Should You Marinate Meat?

The minimum amount of time to marinate any meat is 2 hours. Any less than that and you are basically getting the taste on the outside but it will not penetrate the meat. It IS possible to over marinate meat though as the ingredients in some marinades can actually toughen, or even begin to chemically cook, the meat if it is done for too long. If I am marinating beef or pork I generally like to put it in the refrigerator, in a vacuum bag, for 12 hours. For chicken, I like to marinade it for 24 hours as it takes longer for the marinade to penetrate chicken then it does for beef.

Vacuum Packing And Marinating

Adding Vacuum Packing to your marinating process helps in two ways. First, as it removes the air from the bag it will make sure more of your marinade comes into contact with the surface of your meat. The second thing it does is it will SLIGHTLY pull the fibers of the meat apart as it is under a vacuum, which allows the marinade to penetrate quicker and deeper.

Vacuum Tumbling

Vacuum Tumbling, especially when combined with injecting, is the most efficient way to marinate your meat. The Vacuum pulls all of the air out a chamber and then the chamber rotates the meat, picking it up off of the bottom with paddles and then drops it down back into the bottom of the chamber creating impact energy. This energy loosens the fibers of the meat and allows the marinade to penetrate quickly and fully. The Vacuum also plays a small part in this but it is generally done under a vacuum to prevent the marinating solution from foaming up.

Wrapup

So marinating, especially under a vacuum, can provide you with a juicier more tender piece of meat with more flavor. Injecting or vacuum tumbling is the preferred way to marinate though as it will allow you to get your marinade directly into the muscle of the meat and you won’t have to rely on osmosis to pass the solution through the permeable cellular structure.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Marinade Express Vacuum Tumbler - Pro

Shop waltonsinc.com for Walton’s Automatic Syringe Injector

Shop waltonsinc.com for Vacuum Sealers

Recent Posts

• D

@Jonathon great advice, keep it simple

read more
  • Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe

Learn how to make Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Shaping the Dough Add to Baking Stone Pizza Slice Ingredients

During one of our recent livestreams, Big John offered to give us a great pizza dough recipe. He claimed it would give me a leg up on Austin when we eventually do our pizza competition. Well, I wanted to try it so I made some pepperoni here while I was propping open the door to try to get the temp to hold at 120° and then I finished them up in our sous vide cooker.

So his recipe called for 4 cups of King Arthur all-purpose flour but I decided to use the one specifically for pizza crusts, 2 packs of dry yeast, not the rapid rise kind, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

Steps for Dough

Take the 2 packs of yeast and mix with 1-1/2 cups of warm water. Then mix the rest of the ingredients in an oiled bowl, make sure everything is nice and mixed in and then transfer to a clean oiled bowl, cover with some plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour. Then put it in the fridge overnight.

Then the next day make another batch and mix them together, this was a tip from him that really seems to work out well! Then you can split them into batches and you can freeze them for up to 3 months but just know that he says the longer you leave them in the freezer they will not be as good!

Cooking Directions

Now, we are using a pizza stone so we are warming it up for an hour at 500°. I like to form the dough into a circle, now I am not perfect at this so it is more of a circle like shape than a true circle and then put it on the stone for 1-2 minutes to firm it up a little more. This will make adding the topping a lot better in my mind.

Now add your sauce, cheese, and any other toppings. I like to sprinkle some Garlic Romano Wing Sauce onto mine while it cooks, it is very good on pizza. We have cut our pepperoni pretty thin and we will put a good amount of that on top of the cheese.

Then lower the temp to 400 put your pizza in there and cook for about 8-10 minutes or just until the pizza dough is as hard as you like it and just as the cheese starts to turn brown in a few spots.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Excalibur Shakers Shop waltonsinc.com for Round Baking Stone Watch WaltonsTV: Big John’s Pizza Dough Recipe

Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Round Baking Stone Pepperoni Seasoning

read more
  • It could be somewhere in the area I highlighted in green.

I have most of my notifications turned off and might get an email once per day. It depends on posting activity.

notifications.jpg

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
Joe Hell, markgolding

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.0k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 5.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, neomirav.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.