Summer sausage

• My summer sausage is sticking to the casings

• Walton's Employee

@Douglas-Moore It could be a host of things, cooking at too high heat will do it, overly dry casings (how long were they held before going into the smoker?) not enough mixing and there can be other issues as well. Can you give u some more information on your process?

• I followed the instructions on the video. It may have something to do with the sausage not getting as firm as it should. I used the cotto salami on duck breast with pork fat. It sure tastes good. But it’s a little soft.

• Walton's Employee

@Douglas-Moore If you used duck did you cook up to 165°? If you are using ground poultry you should be cooking to 165 instead of 160° if you are using beef/pork. Another idea is when did you mix in the pork fat? When adding pork fat the best time to add it is during the grinding process if you are mixing it in after the grinding you run the risk of having the fat encapsulate the proteins and make it difficult for everything to bind together properly.

Last thought would be to add a binder like Sure Gel or Soy Protein Blend that will add some protein to your product and make protein extraction easier. If you are looking to firm it up more I don’t know that Carrot Fiber would be the best choice.

• Thank you, I will remember that if/when I try duck again.

Recent Posts

• @txbigly
    I’d say 30-45 days still isn’t too long. I wouldn’t go much past 45 though.
    As long as it is still in the original vacuum packaging, and the packaging doesn’t start to expand (gas released from the meat), you should be fine wet aging for quite some time. When you open the package, you should notice pretty quickly if it sat too long and spoiled. The odor will be quite foul and noticeable. So, I’d shoot for the 30-45 day mark, and you should be good with that.

read more
  • K

@Joe-Hell ROFLOL 🙂

read more
  • @Austin I had the three 3 in 1 gig once…once 😒

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
scrambler506, SmokeBonk, Joe Hell, schultzgang, outlaw179

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.0k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.3k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jmcox.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.