Squid! Will it BBQ?

• Walton's Employee

BBQ'ing Squid

Will it BBQ? Squid!

In this segment we pose the question and the answer to Will it BBQ? So much more than just hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats can be BBQ'd, Grilled, or Smoked. And, this is where we try out unique ideas for cooking on a grill or smoker. This week we are BBQ'ing Squid and letting you know if it will BBQ or not!

Grilling Squid

Prep Time

60 Minutes

Cook Time

10 Minutes

Ingredients

1 Squid
    1 Pineapple

Utensils Needed

Non-Stick Mesh Basket
    Boning Knife

Instructions

If you purchased an entire squid, as we did, then you need to start by separating the hood from the tentacles. You can do this by making a clean cut just above the head. Then you need to remove a ball-like piece from the head, this will contain the beak, it comes out easily just feel around for it and squeeze it out. Then you need to reach up into the hood and remove the internal guts. You should also be able to pull out the quill at this point, the quill is a clear plastic looking piece that is roughly the size and shape of a feather. Next clean everything very well under water. Then lay the hood flat and either cut or pull off the wings. Then cut through the upper half of the hood leaving the bottom half intact, this will make the squid more tender and allow you to stuff it with more pineapple. Stuff it with pieces of pineapple and sprinkle on the seasoning of your choice. Then go ahead and grill it until it has the desired consistency, about 3-5 minutes a side should do it. Get some dipping sauces ready and enjoy!

So, Will it BBQ?

This was one of our more “interesting” ones. I like calamari in pasta dishes and when it is fried, grilling it was very good, but the texture was not as good as when it is fried, the hood was by far the best part though. The tentacles were not something I would eat again and the “wings” were at best okay. We have the longer version of this video available Here if you want to watch the entire thing.

Shop Walton’s for BBQ Sauces

Broil King S440

Broil King S440

Excalibur Smoke House BBQ

Excalibur Shakers

Recent Posts

• @PapaSop He’ll come around, have to try it a time or two and then realize how simple it is to nail it everytime and he will be happy to do it!

read more
  • @Jonathon
    Lol. My son just got the reverse sear nailed down and now I have to show him something new. Can already see the look on his face.

read more
  • If I had a pond like that in my backyard I’d never leave home!

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

13 users active right now (2 members and 11 guests).
journeyman1955, Joe Hell, pepper, bassnaholic

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, kirby50.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.