Making Bologna from venison

• I’d like to try making bologna from some deer meat I have, so I can more easily use it up by making sadwiches etc but I don’t see many articles for this. Can someone help me out with a recipe and what all I need to do this?

• Walton's Employee

@weatherbow21 I’m actually making some Lebanon Bologna tomorrow for a video but that won’t be ready for a few weeks. So if you are using deer meat you need to add some pork fat (or beef fat if you prefer) to get you close to 70/30 lean to fat ratio. The best way to do this is by getting pork fat from a butcher (some still offer this) and if not then an untrimmed pork but to get you around that ratio. So, if you have 17 lb of deer meat add 8 lb of pork fat (untrimmed butts, especially the fatty parts) and mix in the pork or pork fat while grinding to make sure they mix well.

If you do not want to add fat then you might be able to do what I did with chicken breast which was to add some cold phosphate and carrot fiber or cold phosphate and super bind. Either of these combinations will vastly improve the moisture holding capacity of your bologna.

For smoke schedule and grinding instructions follow the Summer Sausage Recipe

Let us know if you need anything else and good luck!

• Power User

@Jonathon
    Can’t wait to see the Lebanon bologna video! We are going to give it a shot this year with venison and pork fat using the Excaliber spice mix. I’m excited to see how it goes. After growing up in Dutch Amish county in PA I think I’ve had every kind. Our local butcher shop here in Rochester NY makes it but it’s too sweet for me.

• Walton's Employee

@Parksider and @weatherbow21 One thing I am going to do is add some Xtra Hot Ground Red Pepper to mine. I was lucky enough to have some that a customer brought in a while ago and he added some to his and it was amazing. I will work out some ratios and post them when I post the video!

• How big of a batch are you making?

• Walton's Employee

@jonathon I made 10 lb of it. I used 6 lb of pork, 4 lb of lean beef and the 10 lb 4.6 Bologna Casing along with the Lebanon Bologna Seasoning and then I added the X-tra Hot Red Pepper at the usage of 3 oz to 100 lb of meat. I also used some Sodium Erythorbate and Sure Gel. It came out amazing! Seriously, it might have been the best thing I have ever made here! Then today I made Fried Bologna sandwiches out it, all around just a great product!

Recent Posts

• @txbigly
    I’d say 30-45 days still isn’t too long. I wouldn’t go much past 45 though.
    As long as it is still in the original vacuum packaging, and the packaging doesn’t start to expand (gas released from the meat), you should be fine wet aging for quite some time. When you open the package, you should notice pretty quickly if it sat too long and spoiled. The odor will be quite foul and noticeable. So, I’d shoot for the 30-45 day mark, and you should be good with that.

read more
  • K

@Joe-Hell ROFLOL 🙂

read more
  • @Austin I had the three 3 in 1 gig once…once 😒

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
KLee, Fred, charlie, fowler35

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.0k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.3k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jwallin.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.