Encapsulated Citric Acid VS Fermento?

• I am going to try the Lebanon Bologna mix, after I ordered I saw it recommends using encapsulated citric acid.

On another site I read that fermento and be used as a substitute for the citric acid.

If this is OK to use, how much of the fermento should I use?

Thanks

• sorry, I forgot to say, I already have fermento, but I would have to order the ECA.

• Walton's Employee

@woodduck We don’t handle Fermento so I am hesitant to give an answer on anything other than the most basic information. From a basic internet search, it looks like Fermentos main functions are to add a tang and speed curing times. If those are the functions you are looking for then Encapsulated Citric Acid (ECA) will give you the tang that Fermento would and you can go right from stuffing to the smokehouse.

Again though, we don’t handle Fermento so we aren’t familiar enough with this to give you a solid answer, this is just based on what I was able to find on a basic internet search.

Are there any of our users more familiar with Fermento?

• use the bacteria recommended for Lebanon bologna and naturely ferment. its way better

• Walton's Employee

@andrewsc I agree that fermented and slow cured is a different taste. Many would say, and I am included in that many, that it is a better taste. But, there are also people who don’t like it as much as just quick cured and smoked. The fat starts to go rancid and that is the smell/taste that sets it apart. Again, I prefer that taste but not everyone does!

It is 100% worth doing at least once for the experience and the taste!

Recent Posts

• B

Cooked a batch of summmer in PK 100 casings are 1 7/8 by 12 cooked at 120 for one hour then 140 two hours then 180 tell internal of 152 but when I went to pull them the fat had liquefied any ideas

read more
  • T

Tom T from Boise, ID

read more
  • D

Oh… I ground the pork fat and the venison at the same time. 2 chunks of venison, 1 chunk of pork, back and forth…

read more
  • D

Yes… sure cure and sure gel binder. The venison and pork fat were both still partially frozen when I ground them. First through the large course plate, then again through the small plate. (Not sure of sizes, but these are the plates i normally use for summer sausage). I probably should have put the meat back in the freezer before seasoning but i was pressed for time. I mixed by hand for 14 or 15 minutes. I also think I might have added to much water. The video said 2 quarts for wild game 2 pints for fatty pork. I put in 1 quart and about another cup. I mixed until it got tacky and then mixed some more. The meat seemed soupy to me but the video said that would be ok.
    The shriveling occurred before I bumped the temp up. I was using a digital thermometer with a probe, when the temp stalled for a couple hours, I suspected the temp might be reading inaccurately so I opened the door to confirm with a dial thermometer. The digital was accurate but the sausage was already shriveling.
    Another thing that bothered me was the casings… these had perforations for some reason. I e never used perforated casings before and seemed like I was losing a pot of moisture through them. Did I have the wrong casings? The other fibrous casings in the catalog said you were supposed to poke them anyway.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.