Encapsulated Citric Acid VS Fermento?

• I am going to try the Lebanon Bologna mix, after I ordered I saw it recommends using encapsulated citric acid.

On another site I read that fermento and be used as a substitute for the citric acid.

If this is OK to use, how much of the fermento should I use?

Thanks

• sorry, I forgot to say, I already have fermento, but I would have to order the ECA.

• Walton's Employee

@woodduck We don’t handle Fermento so I am hesitant to give an answer on anything other than the most basic information. From a basic internet search, it looks like Fermentos main functions are to add a tang and speed curing times. If those are the functions you are looking for then Encapsulated Citric Acid (ECA) will give you the tang that Fermento would and you can go right from stuffing to the smokehouse.

Again though, we don’t handle Fermento so we aren’t familiar enough with this to give you a solid answer, this is just based on what I was able to find on a basic internet search.

Are there any of our users more familiar with Fermento?

• use the bacteria recommended for Lebanon bologna and naturely ferment. its way better

• Walton's Employee

@andrewsc I agree that fermented and slow cured is a different taste. Many would say, and I am included in that many, that it is a better taste. But, there are also people who don’t like it as much as just quick cured and smoked. The fat starts to go rancid and that is the smell/taste that sets it apart. Again, I prefer that taste but not everyone does!

It is 100% worth doing at least once for the experience and the taste!

Recent Posts

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

19 users active right now (2 members and 17 guests).
erich52, Khadijah, Tex_77, macsinsac, knifemaker3

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 8.2k posts in 1.5k topics.
We currently have 5.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, michaels1.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.