Venison Ham instructions Request

• Re: venison ham???

Please make this a project

Sounds like this may be a project that should be addressed. I think many people would be interested and it might save someone from ruining their venison by doing so incorrectly.

I would assume that this would have some different requirements than pork considering the vast difference in fat content.

• I do venison hams. I use a curing brine, 3 lbs of curing salt per gallon of water. I brine in that overnight (8-12 hours) then, inject half of that brine into the deer ham.

I use Walton’s brown sugar cure to coat the outside of the ham until it’s about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick initially. Have plenty of cure on hand, you’ll need more every other day. I pit the ham on a draining rack inside a plastic box with a lid and, refrigerate it. I check it, drain off the water and, add more cure if I see any bare spots. Being venison, I leave it 15 days in the refrigerator and, at the start of day 16, I rinse the cure off, then soak the ham in reconstituted powdered milk for one hour before wrapping and freezing it, or cooking it.

If you like saltier ham, skip the milk soak. I like it a bit less salty.

• What size of ham (Lbs) do you make hams with? Thanks for sharing you method, I have been thinking about how to do this for some time, as I want to turn the hams into Sausage that can be smoked …hoping to generate a Sausage with more of a old world flair to it. You brought me me one step closer, Thanks!

• Regular Contributors

OK, I calculated ± 2.04 cups or 32.76 tablespoons of Walton’s Turkey Cure for a 10% pump to equal 1.29 pounds of cure. I hope that is right. If anyone has anything known to be more accurate (other than weighing) or scientific, please let me know. Thanks

• Admin

@wvhunter1965
    I would suggest following the same guidelines for a traditional ham as with a venison ham.
    Check out our normal ham recipe here:
    https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/203/how-to-make-homemade-smoked-ham-recipe

I will see if we can do some research into what may be helpful to do different with venison as opposed to pork in this specific use case though.

• @austin, thanks for the info. Also, thanks to the members for the info they provided.

I am considering trying the venison and following the recipe for pork as suggested.

Will let you know how it turns out!

• @wvhunter1965
    This is a recipe I use for making hams. It is pretty good. Use a 1/2 cup of tender quick to 4 cups of water to make a brine. Inject 1 oz of brine per 1 lb of meat. Rub 1 tbsp of sugar cure per 1 lb on the outside then refrigerate for 10 to 14 days. Then wash off excess salt with warm water. Then you can smoke and cook it or just plain cook it to an inside temp of 160 degrees. Very good with pork and pretty good with deer. Just have to remember deer is going to be different.

Recent Posts

• S

I seem to be having excessively long smoking/cooking times when it comes to processing my snack sticks & starting to wonder what could be the issue.

my recipe is rather simple…mix an 80/20 batch of beef/pork, add 2.5 tsp #1, 2 bottles of soy vay very teriyaki &8-10 ounces finely cubed cheese, coated in corn starch (poor man’s high temperature cheese). stuff in (now)17mm casings & refrigerate overnight.

when smoking, I start at 120 for a couple hours, and then, every hour to hour and a half, bump it 10 degrees…only starting the smoke after the initial couple hours.

my issue is that everything I rewad says that it should be about a 5-6 hour process…currently, I’m looking at 14 hours & still only up to 140 with the smoker set at 170.

I don’t want to raise the temp much higher & render the fats, but I really can’t be spending 18 hours to get my sticks up to temp on a sunday evening before having to get up early on a monday for work…

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

J

read more
  • Wish me luck! This is my first attempt at something like this. Patience will be my virtue.

The recipe called for Insta Cure #2. Does anyone know if there would be an issue with cooking/eating the trim meat sooner than the time required to fully cure the full cuts or should I cure those along side the others?

3C9AD136-99AA-43BB-822A-B6090F1E5EB9.jpeg

read more
  • @craigrice I tend agree. I’ve had such hit and miss with lamb that it’s been quite some time since I made it. The last was one my folks bought from my aunt and uncle and processed locally. The cuts were just strange to say the least. I don’t remember specifics but the ‘chops’ weren’t what I was used to. The meat was gamey and tough.

When I was in high school my dad had a lamb butchered and my brother and I ate ALL of the chops in a middle of the night, secret, drunken bbq fest. He was so pissed off he didn’t even complain that we drank a case of his keystone ice.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

7 users active right now (0 members and 7 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.4k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 4.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, TrustPharma.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.