Cure Accelerator question?

• Looking for clarification on the use of cure accelerators in venison summer sausage.

I have recently made 2ea 25lb batches of beef/pork (80/20) sausage to dial in my flavor profile before moving to venison summer. I made one batch with ECA, and one without. Love the tanginess the ECA delivers.

Now reading up on the smoked meat cure and the benefit of it’s use in venison sausage I have the following questions:

1. Is the smoked meat cure used in place of, or in addition to, the ECA?

2. If it is used in place of ECA, will the smoked meat cure deliver the same level of tanginess as the ECA?

3. If the smoked meat cure is used in place of ECA, and does not deliver the tanginess of ECA, what can I add to deliver the tanginess?

Thanks, Tom

• Walton's Employee

@TinCupTom I think you are talking about adding Smoked Meat Stabilizer instead of the Encapsulated Citric Acid? If that is the case then you would not want to use them together, use one or the other. The Smoked Meat Stabilizer will not offer the same level of tanginess that the Citric Acid will, it does contain ascorbic acid but it is not enough to offer a noticeable level of tanginess.

There really isn’t anything to use in place of the Encapsulated Citric Acid to offer the same level of tang. I use the Citric Acid in almost everything I do as I also love the taste it adds. So, if you are looking for that I would just go with the Encapsulated Citric Acid instead of the smoked meat stabilizer.

Now, if you were talking about Sure Cure instead of Smoked Meat Stabilizer then yes, you want to use them together as the Citric Acid will work as a cure accelerator and also adds the tanginess!

Recent Posts

• @papasop I have a response from the manufacturer…
    They said that they designed the mixer in a way that it would not need to run in reverse for a long time. It should mix efficiently enough in one direction and it was designed to mix in just 1 direction. So, using the grinder in any scenario (grinding or mixing) you should limit the reverse time to approximately 5 seconds at one time.

My own opinion on the mixing is that I wouldn’t mix in just 1 direction though. I think there is still a benefit to going in reverse, even if temporarily, so I think my course of action for the future will probably be to mix 90% of the time in 1 direction, but still do the reverse in the 5 second interval. Probably something like 30 to 60 seconds forward, 5 seconds backward, then another 30 to 60 forward, etc… I think that would get enough benefit of a direction mix cycle, but still limit the reverse action as much as possible.

read more
  • @jonathon Moscow Mules!! I’m sold. Will It BBQ is on the way soon for sure!

read more
  • @alan Lol, I’m an idiot, just the other day I said that I am fully capable of thinking one thing and typing something else! Getting information from an old timer is usually a great way to go! Glad you got it worked out though! Send pictures of them!

read more
  • @Danbow Back when I was in customer service I know I talked to someone who either said his wife did it exactly how you are explaining it or I talked to the woman who did it, I wonder if I was talking to either you or your wife?!

Wrapping it in foil would keep more moisture in the product, same basic process that some people do when they are smoking ribs. I can absolutely see how this would work and I think the way she is doing it, without a casing, would be more effective when wrapping it in foil. I don’t think you’ll ever convert me from using a casing but we might be making some updates here and when we do I might have access to an oven and will give this a try!

read more
  • A

Lol, no rice in Andoullie. You are thinking of Boudin.
    I spoke to an Old Timer Cajun down here and he said, after you cure your meat for 24 hours, spray and moisten the meat just before stuffing it. If the stuffing is too dry, the meat will shrink when smoked and it will make voids between the stuffing and casing.
    The recipe I use is hundred plus years ago and I added some modern safeguards and seasonings. By the way, I use Boston Butt & Cushion Meat, in lieu of the hogs head and neck.
    The Smoke Houses are selling it for over $10 a pound here and I can make it for $1.30.
    LaPlace, LA is, The Andoullie Capital of the World!

read more
  • H

@jonathon Thank you for your quick and detailed response. It is greatly appreciated. Just another reason why Walton’s is the best. For some reason, I thought that you needed to soak the collagen before loading it on the stuffing horn. Thanks for the correction there.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.