How to make venison hot dogs!

• I’m looking for a proven process for making venison hot dogs at home. Many processors in my area make venison hot dogs which , I have tried to duplicate but always seem to fall a little short. Maybe I’m just lacking the commercial processing equipment or maybe my process to be changed. Any information or help with this would be greatly appreciated thank you.

• Walton's Employee

@tom Can you give us what your process was and where you think they are falling short? Is it the taste, texture, moisture or appearance? Austin did a good video on this a long time ago and you can see it here https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/180/how-to-make-homemade-hot-dogs-recipe but he probably used some equipment in that video that you wont have access too. Everything should be doable at home though.

You’ll either want to get your hands on an emulsifying plate or grind it twice through a 1/8 plate to get the consistency right. I would also recommend using Excalibur Sure Gel to help with the consistency.

@Parksider Makes a ridiculous amount of Hot Dogs, or maybe they are chili dogs? Either way, I know he makes them out of venison so his input should be helpful here!

• Regular Contributors

@Tom I was in the same boat as you, tried a bunch of different stuff and never seemed to get it just right but now we’ve had some success. First was using Excaliber spice packs, hot dog or chili dog, if you haven’t tried chili dogs DO IT and throw in some high temp cheddar and some ground habanero if you like some spice!!
    Next is the meat, we use 50/50 venison and pork, that we triple grind on a 3/8" plate. Rumors flying around you can use a juicer to emulsify but haven’t tried that yet…Key here is to grind, put the meat in the freezer until it’s stiff, between each grind, yes this takes time but without the commercial equipment this is as good as it gets. I just got a stack of used restaurant sheet trays that we are planning on using this year with parchment paper. I like to mix the seasoning in between grind 2 and 3 by hand. From there into 26mm cellulose casings. I hand link then we smoke for 2 hours then into a 170F turkey fryer water bath until they reach 160F. Then ice water bath to cool. We use scissors and remove the casings, let them dry and vacuum seal. You can check out my instagram @ black_run_bbq to see hand linking video. I learned from youtube before Jon did one on meatgistics. We did a 200# run took 8 hours…If you find any way to speed up the process PLEASE let me know. I’ve thought about buying a buffalo chopper(commercial equipment) by they don’t come cheap. Good luck and let us know how they turn out!!!

• @jonathon thanks for your help… my process is 50/50 ground venison / ground pork shoulder. Then three trips through my number 12 grinder , and we all know what can be like. Then hand mixing in my seasonings , cure, and binder. I think last time I use phosphates for my binder. I’m not sure if that was a good choice. I prefer my hot dogs in casings so I stuff them in natural casings as well as collagen casings. The natural casings went into a smoker at a low temp just enough to get smoke for an hour. Then they were finished cooked in a hot water bath approximately 180 degrees till they reach the i t of 160. Followed by a cold water bath to stop the cooking process . When complete they taste like hot dogs but the texture was a little rubbery and the moisture content is lacking. Maybe I’m just asking too much. FYI I normally work in 5 lb batches it’s just easier for me to manage. Any info you can give me on the best binders to use and how much additional water to add when using these binders. Also maybe a better hot water cooking method might help? Parkside thank you for your help also I’m reading everything your posting and absorbing as much of it as I can. PS I’m a PA boy also.

• @parksider thank you for taking the time to share your information with me. I’ve only been at this for a couple years now so I still have a lot to learn. Although my peers tell me my snack sticks bologna jerky and kielbasa is some of the best I’ve ever tasted. Not trying to be braggadocious here. I just enjoy cooking. There’s a processor in my area that averages over 30,000 pounds of venison hot dogs each season. reason why he does that many because they’re that good! Everybody wants them. I just read your online profile you guys sound like you have a lot of fun. I’m sure there’s a lot I could learn from you. So I will try to follow your online posts. Thanks again for taking the time to reply back. Tom King

• Regular Contributors

@Tom
    Sounds great! I just use the Walton’s mix, nothing more, very good and easy to use. Over my course of experimentation i found that the finer you grind the smaller particles and it’s easier to overcook and fat them out. Dry product was always an issue until I used a premix spice pack.

Recent Posts

• @papasop I have a response from the manufacturer…
    They said that they designed the mixer in a way that it would not need to run in reverse for a long time. It should mix efficiently enough in one direction and it was designed to mix in just 1 direction. So, using the grinder in any scenario (grinding or mixing) you should limit the reverse time to approximately 5 seconds at one time.

My own opinion on the mixing is that I wouldn’t mix in just 1 direction though. I think there is still a benefit to going in reverse, even if temporarily, so I think my course of action for the future will probably be to mix 90% of the time in 1 direction, but still do the reverse in the 5 second interval. Probably something like 30 to 60 seconds forward, 5 seconds backward, then another 30 to 60 forward, etc… I think that would get enough benefit of a direction mix cycle, but still limit the reverse action as much as possible.

read more
  • @jonathon Moscow Mules!! I’m sold. Will It BBQ is on the way soon for sure!

read more
  • @alan Lol, I’m an idiot, just the other day I said that I am fully capable of thinking one thing and typing something else! Getting information from an old timer is usually a great way to go! Glad you got it worked out though! Send pictures of them!

read more
  • @Danbow Back when I was in customer service I know I talked to someone who either said his wife did it exactly how you are explaining it or I talked to the woman who did it, I wonder if I was talking to either you or your wife?!

Wrapping it in foil would keep more moisture in the product, same basic process that some people do when they are smoking ribs. I can absolutely see how this would work and I think the way she is doing it, without a casing, would be more effective when wrapping it in foil. I don’t think you’ll ever convert me from using a casing but we might be making some updates here and when we do I might have access to an oven and will give this a try!

read more
  • A

Lol, no rice in Andoullie. You are thinking of Boudin.
    I spoke to an Old Timer Cajun down here and he said, after you cure your meat for 24 hours, spray and moisten the meat just before stuffing it. If the stuffing is too dry, the meat will shrink when smoked and it will make voids between the stuffing and casing.
    The recipe I use is hundred plus years ago and I added some modern safeguards and seasonings. By the way, I use Boston Butt & Cushion Meat, in lieu of the hogs head and neck.
    The Smoke Houses are selling it for over $10 a pound here and I can make it for $1.30.
    LaPlace, LA is, The Andoullie Capital of the World!

read more
  • H

@jonathon Thank you for your quick and detailed response. It is greatly appreciated. Just another reason why Walton’s is the best. For some reason, I thought that you needed to soak the collagen before loading it on the stuffing horn. Thanks for the correction there.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.