Summer Sausage and Snack Sticks Storage

• I have a newbie question. If I make my snack sticks, and or summer sausage, use the proper amount of cure, and smoke to a temp of about 155 deg farenheit, can I vacuum seal and store them at room temperature? I want to be able to send my sausage to family in other states. I don’t want to be Hickory Farms hahahaha, just want to store without having to freeze or refrigerate. Any tips?

• Walton's Employee

@HoustonSmoker No better Christmas gift than homemade Summer Sausage in my mind! First, I’d still recommend 160 degrees with beef or pork, then an Ice Bath to stop the cooking process and help set the casing. Especially if you are giving them as gifts, 160 degrees is the point of instant lethality so you will know everything is safe for family and friends to eat. For sending them out of state you’d need to pack them in dry-ice and send them overnight! These aren’t going to be shelf stable summer sausages. The process for those are totally different and require a starter culture and a different process.

• @houstonsmoker bringing you snack sticks and summer sausage to 160 is key for a long shelf life. My first time making snack sticks I did not make sure they got to the proper temp and had mold problems within a week. After that I went to the 160 mark and have had no issues with spoilage. I have had them in the fridge over a month with no,problems.

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    It is good.
    We like to serve a chub on a small bed of rice next to 4-5 bang bang shrimp.

Everyone loves it.

read more
  • T

Hi All, Im New to the Group, I am wondering which class of NTEP scale is necessary for measuring sure cure per haccp protocol. It looks like these scales are rated as I,II,III class and very in price dramatically

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell
    thanks for the info, I had not heard of this until 3 years ago and I think the reason it was brined was to cure or preserve it while
    frozen. A friend of a friend makes these after hunting season so they can be taken out of the freezer and sliced up for snacks and they are fantastic but he wont share the recipe. When they are unthawed even after many months they are still perfect.
    Have you tried freezing any portion and is it still as good when first made?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (0 members and 12 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dosmondson.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.