Smoked snack sticks

• 0_1544025349350_20181109_165657.jpg 0_1544025403768_20181109_183332.jpg 0_1544025493168_20181114_184603.jpg 0_1544025542499_Screenshot_20181205-105847_Gallery.jpg

Some bbq smoked snack sticks out of venison. Smoked in my smoker and they turned out great. Nice mild flavor that my kids can enjoy

• Walton's Employee

@bubba_mcnabb Good choice on the carrot fiber, I love that stuff with snack sticks. I REALLY like the coiled sticks with a W for Walton’s in the middle. I’m not sure if that is what you were going for or not but I am going to use it on our Instagram account for a post for sure at some point! What cheese is in there? I think I see some cheddar in the ones that you have vacuum packed?

• Been meaning to try the carrot fiber to some snack sticks. What’s your opinion on using it, does it make a big difference?

• Walton's Employee

@revid I’m a fan of Carrot Fiber for sure, more so than some others but I have never used it and not been happy with the results. I heard from one person, once, that they could pick up a carrot flavor but I never can and it gives you a really nice juicy finished product as it holds 26 times its weight in water. Super Bind is another amazing binder as it combines carrot fiber with potato starch. The potato starch starts to gel at the exact temperature that the meat will start sweating so it just sucks all that moisture right up, it’s excellent but can be pricey for making a homemade product. Either way, I don’t think you will be disappointed!

• @jonathon yes that was the goal with the W lol. Couldn’t be happier with what you guys at walton’s are doing. There is such a wealth of useful knowledge (for free) and you guys break it down into layman’s terms for the average person. Keep up the good work. You have a customer for life here.

• @revid yes first time using it and had great results with my snack sticks and my bologna I made. I added 2qts of water per 25# batch and couldn’t be happier with the moisture content they had. All the guys at work are trying to figure out my secrets lol

• @revid I use Carrot fiber in just about everything that I make and have not been disappointed with it, I just bought some Super Bind to try that just so I can potentially have another option if I need it.

• Thanks guys will have to try some on my next snack stick batch. How much would you use for 2# and 5# batches?

• Walton's Employee

@revid We have broken this all out by weight and by volume on our Additive Conversion Chart by 1 and 5 lb batches! I am amazed at how much use those have gotten, had I known it would be that useful I would have done it ages ago.

Recent Posts

• H

Thanks Jonathon. I pan fried the sausage in a cast iron skillet (my “go to” for the stove) on low heat actually. I could not believe there was no moisture in that skillet. The sausage really was great (Holly), beautifully brown. I was very surprised at no rendered fat, but it is very pleasant to experience a sausage patty that is not greasy. I thought I did something wrong lol.

Yeah, goat is lean. I will be going the route of adding pork fat, or mixing in some ground pork. I will have to read up on the other options you have suggested as they are new to me. I like to keep my food as “natural” as possible. I do appreciate the assist here.

read more
  • @homesteader57 When making a fresh sausage like breakfast sausage adding water isn’t necessary and you’d only need to do it to help mix in the seasonings and additives. I personally don’t add water to breakfast sausage or bratwursts. Did you stuff this into a casing or did you make loose breakfast sausage and cook it up in a pan? Either way, I’ve never heard of no fat rendering out when cooking a breakfast sausage, can you give me a little more information on how you cooked it? In a pan over high heat I am assuming, was it cooked at the highest heat? Cast Iron or something else?

I am going to be very interested to see what happens when you make Brats out of the goats. I’ve never done it but I am pretty sure goat is low in fat content. For brats you want your fat content to be around 75/25 so you will have to add some pork fat if you can. If you don’t want to add pork fat then you can try what I have been doing with lower fat meats. When I have made Chicken Brats I have been using Cold Phosphate to increase the water holding capacity of the meat. I’d also recommend you use a binder like Sure Gel or Super Bind or a moisture retender like Carrot Fiber. Using both of those seems to be the best bet to get a nice juicy product out of a lower fat meat.

read more
  • @scott-williams First, I’d recommend you use a binder like Sure Gel or Super Bind or a moisture retender like Carrot Fiber. This is always the first thing I recommend when someone has an issue with the texture of their sausage.

Your fat content is correct and it sounds like you used the correct amount of seasoning. 190° is a little higher than I would recommend, but we have all been there when it’s just taking too long so you dump it a little more than you really should! I don’t think that is the issue but check out this post titled Summer Sausage Nightmare specifically @Parksider’s response to finishing it up in water. It’s a good tip and I am going to be doing some tests on it here to verify a few things.

What I think probably caused your issue was the mixing in some way. When adding pork fat to your venison I think the best time to add it is during the second grind, it’s possible that your fat didn’t really mix in well with the venison, that would explain why it seemed dry even though you had the correct fat content.

It also could have been lack of protein extraction, I looked through your posts and can’t tell if you have a mixer or are mixing by hand? With cured sausages, I always recommend using a meat mixer as getting the right level of protein extraction. I am guessing that you had some fat out where the fat renders and cooks out of the product.

Hope this helps!

read more
  • J

I made my first batch of brats last night and was using the 30mm collagen casing, but I could not get it to fit on the 22mm tube. I used instead the 16mm tube. I am just curious about what I was doing wrong. I have the 11lb vertical stuffer.

read more
  • @papasop Sorry, I didn’t catch that you said by the switch initially.
    I see the same thing now. Weird thing is that the Pro Series also says the same thing. If you couldn’t use any of them for more than 5 seconds in reverse, that would be odd, because then nothing would work well with the meat mixers.
    I’m getting some questions sent to the manufacturer. I’ll let you know if they can clarify further.
    I’ve used both the Pro and Butcher series grinders with the reverse on for more than 5 seconds, and used them to mix a lot of meat, so my initial thought is that it is fine to do on mixing, but maybe just not when the grinder head, auger, plate/knife, etc. is attached. Meat is the “lubricant” for all that when grinding, so in reverse for too long and the meat not being pushed through everything could cause problems.

read more
  • @danbow The cook cycle definitely can have good or bad effects on the casings, but I would say that the slow temperature increases are not just for the casing, but just in general for what we call “case hardening”. Jumping straight into a hot temperature when cooking any type of meat can create a “crust” or dry and tough exterior.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.