Chicken/Turkey breast meat breakfast sausage and Brats.

• Looking for tips, tricks, and ideas for making lean poultry sausage. Are there additives that can be employed to offset the lack of fat and make a better sausage?

• One that Jon uses when he makes chicken brats is Cold Phosphates, it raises the Ph of the meat to allow it to hold more water so you can always try that one.

• Walton's Employee

@1grinder I make a ton of Chicken Brats here and I love playing around with additives and ingredients to try to make them as juicy as possible. What @Boudreaux said is correct about using Cold Phosphate to help increase the water holding capacity of the meat. I like to use this together with Carrot Fiber as that can hold up to 26 times its weight in water, meaning if you add one oz of carrot fiber you can add 26 oz of water and it will hold all of that. When making a low-fat sausage you need to do everything you can to prevent it from drying out.

I’ve done a few videos on this subject. https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/415/how-to-make-a-juicy-homemade-turkey-bratwurst I think gave me the best results on camera as I used both Carrot Fiber and Cold Phosphate for the first time together. I will post the links to the other two below in case you want to see them as well.

If you are really wanting to make the best poultry brat you can then instead of the carrot fiber I would suggest using Super Bind. It is more expensive but it is a mix of Carrot Fiber and Potato Starch so you get the benefits of the carrot fiber but the potato starch begins to gel at the same temperature that meat starts to expel its water so it soaks it right up and binds it in there.

Also, try using some chicken thighs instead of all breasts, the extra fat from the thighs will help.

Good luck and if you try anything different and it works out really well (or really terribly) let us know!

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/264/how-to-make-homemade-chicken-brats-recipe
    https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/393/how-to-make-juicier-chicken-brats-recipe

• @boudreaux Thank you so much. I like the people that hangout here at Walton’s Community, it’s a super resource for beginners like myself.

• @jonathon Thank you for the fast response. Looks like it time to get another order in. While I love my bacon, pork sausage and other meaty delights, I have been struggling with my weight. In the passed year I have managed to drop 50 lbs. with Weight Watchers and they subscribe to eating more lean proteins. I’m trying to broaden my menu choices using the lean poultry breast to create new flavor profiles. Will definitely check out the turkey brat video Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.

• Walton's Employee

@1grinder Merry Christmas and good luck! This is a hard time of the year to lose any weight, at least at my house, but it can be done with some will power!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    Might have to check into that attachment. Thanks.

read more
  • @PapaSop I added the cold smoker attachment to my MB40…I stopped using the regular chip tray the same day I installed it and I’ve yet to go back.

read more
  • @pauliedmondsjr
    LOL. Everything is better with smoke on it. I have two MB smokers. Have had issues with chips catching fire thus raising the internal temperature and way to much smoke. Thought this would help moving the smoke source away from the burner(using LP). Thanks for the suggestions.

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics