tempature of meat before going in smoker ?

• new to this i am concerned of having blowout with the meat due to temps. should the summer sausage log be at room temp. before going into smoker ? same question for snack sticks ? thanks

• Walton's Employee

@heagerty666 Good question! Some people let it come to room temperature first but we don’t recommend it. As long as you start out your smoker at low heat you don’t need to be overly worried about blowouts. For both of those products, I would recommend starting at 125 for an hour if you have a smoker that is capable of handling such a low heat.

The problem with letting it come up to room temperature is the possibility of growing bacteria in the meat that could affect the taste and safety of the meat. As long as it is stuffed correctly and brought up in stages you won’t have an issue.

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    It is good.
    We like to serve a chub on a small bed of rice next to 4-5 bang bang shrimp.

Everyone loves it.

read more
  • T

Hi All, Im New to the Group, I am wondering which class of NTEP scale is necessary for measuring sure cure per haccp protocol. It looks like these scales are rated as I,II,III class and very in price dramatically

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell
    thanks for the info, I had not heard of this until 3 years ago and I think the reason it was brined was to cure or preserve it while
    frozen. A friend of a friend makes these after hunting season so they can be taken out of the freezer and sliced up for snacks and they are fantastic but he wont share the recipe. When they are unthawed even after many months they are still perfect.
    Have you tried freezing any portion and is it still as good when first made?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (0 members and 12 guests).
Joe Hell

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dosmondson.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.