Casing not sticking to the meat.

• Re: Roll Call (Start Here First)

Using hog middle to make andoullie, after smoking, my casing doesn’t adhere well to the stuffing? What may be the cause?

• My apologies, I use Beef Middle Casing.

• Walton's Employee

@Alan Can you give us your recipe for it? Are you adding Rice? If so, is it parboiled or totally boiled first? Any other additives and your cook method and schedule.

Once I have those I will talk this over with our food scientist and see what he comes up with for an answer!

• Lol, no rice in Andoullie. You are thinking of Boudin.
    I spoke to an Old Timer Cajun down here and he said, after you cure your meat for 24 hours, spray and moisten the meat just before stuffing it. If the stuffing is too dry, the meat will shrink when smoked and it will make voids between the stuffing and casing.
    The recipe I use is hundred plus years ago and I added some modern safeguards and seasonings. By the way, I use Boston Butt & Cushion Meat, in lieu of the hogs head and neck.
    The Smoke Houses are selling it for over $10 a pound here and I can make it for $1.30.
    LaPlace, LA is, The Andoullie Capital of the World!

• Walton's Employee

@alan Lol, I’m an idiot, just the other day I said that I am fully capable of thinking one thing and typing something else! Getting information from an old timer is usually a great way to go! Glad you got it worked out though! Send pictures of them!

• @alan
    Have you tried the spraying yet to see if it even works? because, I have had the same problem with the dark red collagen casings and it would also not adhere to the meat. Now I’m, curious …

Active Users

Recent Posts

• N

Is there any current coupons? Thanks

read more
  • P

@cayenneman That is more like smoking pork butts or brisket. I did a whole wild turkey at 225F and since there is so little fat on them to start with I used it to make a turkey noodle soup and that little bit of extra smoke on the turkey is a game changer! I used the bones to make the stock and it also had a little smokeyness to it, delicious. Don’t be afraid to run the smoker up 225-250F. Just make sure get it warm and dry before putting the smoke to it so it will stick better.

read more
  • @rhjbarney That is the second time in recent weeks I have heard sausage referred to as Cigars, I like it and I am sure I can come up with a clever (for me at least) social media post about it. Also, I use a lot of the pictures our users post here on Walton’s Instagram, Facebook and twitter accounts and also Meratgistics Face Book accounts. Consider this my shameless plug to follow our social media accounts.

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics