Making hot dogs.

• Your recipe calls for 1. Sure Cure, 2. Sure Gel Meat Binder, and 3. Smoked Meat Stabilizer. I have all but the Sure Gel Meat Binder. Can I get by without using this? Second question- Is Excalibur’s Cure Excellerator the same as Sure Cure?

• Walton's Employee

@mouljb Yes, you can absolutely proceed without the Sure Gel, the sure gell helps with protein extraction and consistency but it is not necessary. As for the Cure Excellerator no, it is not the same as sure cure, though the two are connected. Cure Excellerator speeds the cure so that it will work right away and eliminates the need to hold the product for 12 hours so you can go right from stuffing to smoking!

Recent Posts

• E

Jonathon,
    There is not much to the process. After I combine the meat and spices (I have been using about 2% salt with cure # 2 @ 1 teaspoon per 5lbs of meat) then stuff it into natural hog casings, I put it in the basement to hang for abut 6 weeks. The humidity is low, so it dries out about half it s weight by then, maybe a little bit less.
    Then we eat it. I have only had one hollow batch so far and i think that may be the stuffing issue or maybe the very low humidity combined with temps of around 42 degrees. The good batches came out when the humidity was a little higher and the temperature stayed around 58 degrees.

read more
  • @jonathon 😂 thanks man

read more
  • S

@lamurscrappy I did not, I put it in the fridge as soon as I water bathed it. The casings were pre stuck

read more
  • T

Thanks: I see for hams they call soaking for3-5 days brining and the bacon recipe calls it pickling. Both mean the same? Thanks for the help

read more
  • @scottwaltner Your meat block and smoking schedule sound fine so it doesn’t appear to be that. You say you water bathed them, was it ice water? Also what @RickHeb said is true, they need to sit out at room temp for an hour after the ice bath and then sit in the cooler overnight befire vacuum packing them.

Last thing, were your fibrous casings pre-stuck? If they werent this very well could happen?

read more
  • S

@jonathon I used 15 pounds elk and 5 pounds pork butt. No binder.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.