Mixing question 2

• Regular Contributors

I recently had a 26 lb batch of summer sausage end up with brown spots here and there? Could this be from cure not evenly mixed ??? Or from encapsulated citric acid not fully mixed in??? I’m thinking eca wasn’t mixed in good enough because cure was put in initially with spices and binder and I mixed by hand till I got good protein extraction because it was very sticky ???0_1544920450978_26672209-28F6-4E2D-8CB7-BA2CE5A73BAF.jpeg

• Walton's Employee

@angel4us Yes, those brown spots are areas where the cure was not mixed in with. The other possibility is that something you added interacted with the cure and causes it to turn the meat brown/green around it. As good as you mixed it with your hands this will sometimes happen when hand mixing (can even happen with machine mixing) as the cure didn’t get every little bit of meat. Personally, I don’t think it causes too much of an issue as long as everything was cooked to 160° and is kept refrigerated.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon
    We’ll that was the first thing that came to mind the first batch i ever made. had a cold beer in hand and was sampling one and closed my eyes to savor the moment and the smoke aroma smelled just like i had a lit cigar in my mouth thus the term [meat cigars]

read more
  • @Jonathon Was there another thread or topic that addressed glycerine and using a vacuum tumbler?

read more
  • C

@doug7777 142 degrees is a stalling point where the fat starts to render. I used to get very impatient and start cranking up the heat to get the INT to go up. That usually results in burning all the fat out of the snack sticks. Be patient. The temp will eventually start to rise again. Once it does, it will continue to do so at a steady pace. I have had snack sticks in the smoker for 24 hours or better due to having 25lbs hanging at one time. I have also had 4-5 lbs at a time in the smoker only take 4-5 hours total.

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics