Summer sausage question

• I’m going to be making summer sausage this weekend. If I don’t use esa and hold the product overnight, will I still have that tang taste. I’m trying to cut it down a little. I need some help. Don’t want to come up with bad sausage. Thanks

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

butch The ECA is mostly what gives normal summer sausage its tang, so if you do not use it then it will not have any noticeable tang, just make sure you hold it overnight to let the cure work. ECA has two functions, it acts as a cure accelerator which lets you go right from stuffing to smoking and it adds that familiar tang. Lots of people use it and lots don’t, you can’t go wrong either way!

• It turned out awesome. No noticeable difference to the ones that were held in the fridge for 2 nights. Thanks for the reply. Lynn

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size