Hot dog making/Smoker

• So Im finally having the time to start making hot dogs and other delicious concoctions. A question that came up, when making hot dogs, the last step is to put them in your smoker. Do you have to actually use “Smoke”? Hot dogs from the store are just cooked, not smoked so I was wondering if that is the way we should be doing it at home or just put them in the smoker with not wood so that they are just cooked and not actually smoked.

• Walton's Employee

@dtabor Nope you do not have to use smoke if you do not want to! I have made “smoked” pepperoni like this before. I still end up using the Pk-100 to “smoke” it but I don’t add any woodchips so it is just using the heat source to cook it. You could use an oven to do this but the PK-100 starts lower than most ovens will go and I like to start my sausage, hot dogs or other cured meats out very low and step them in gradually.

• Power User

@dtabor I smoke mine lightly and they are awesome. I use the cellulose casings, smoke for about 2 hours around 120-150F then into a 170F water bath to finish cooking them. I think the chili dog seasoning with a touch of smoke can’t be beat.

• Thank you for the responses! The ones I tried that a friend made were smoked and I agree that they are delicious. I was just thinking about store hot dogs and others a friend has had made by someone for him and they were not so thats where this question came from.

Thank you again!

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    Just had the inside loins pan fried with some onions and butter. Delicious. A little salt and pepper and that’s it.

read more
  • @Joe-Hell
    Compound. I actually missed one same morning. Sorry to say that. Not into admitting that. Getting old sucks… Lol.

read more
  • P

@erich52 I bought an actual Walkin cooler from a guy who had it sitting stacked in his garage. He was going to put it up to process then his kids moved so he didn’t have a use for it. We also got a 3 bay sink from him too. Lots of restaurant resale places have panels but I talked to one guy said Pamela are cheap but the get you on the corner pieces and doors. Ours is 5’x9’. We can easily fit 4 deer on the one side plus still have plenty of shelf space or wheel the carts out and hang more. First full season with it so we’ll see how it goes. Ran 38-40F without a problem last night.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

22 users active right now (1 members and 21 guests).
SilentStalker, Tex_77, pepper, jimmyfred, Chris, erich52

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 8.2k posts in 1.5k topics.
We currently have 5.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Steve57.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.