Breakfast link casings

• I recently made a bunch of breakfast links using collagen casings and everything went perfectly until I put them in the pan where the casings all split and curled up and came off of the meat. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. Thank you!

• Walton's Employee

@big-mike When you say put in the pan, I am assuming you didn’t add water right? I wouldn’t think that you did but whenever someone has problems with collagen that is one of the first things I point out, edible collagen will not stand up to boiling. What collagen did you use, was it fresh or clear? Most likely it was cooked at a too high temperature too quickly, that expands the meat inside and pops the casing. To try to fight this you can try cooking at closer to medium heat, obviously, that is assuming you were cooking on high. It could also be the casings were stuffed a little too full, you could try to stuff your casings a little less full which would give the meat a little more room to expand.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• Regular Contributors

Mike:
    For breakfast links I use only the tubed natural sheep casings. They are expensive, but the tubed casing mounts on your stuffer tube so much easier than the sheep casing in a hank that they are well worth the price. Austin–not an excuse to raise prices! Mike, I think you will be much happier with natural casings.
    Good luck!
    G

• Power User

@gadahl I second that! pretubed sheep casing is the way to go. I also think whoever is “manufacturing” the pretubed are using the best casings. I never have issues with them. While they are more expensive, I think they are a better value.
    We smoke them for about 2 hours around 150F, then into a water bath at 170 to bring them up to temp. Everyone loves them and never had any issues with them splitting open.

• Walton's Employee

@parksider Do you package them first before finishing them up in the bath? Or is it like your summer sausage where you just put the sausage directly into the water. I’m sticking with my recommendation of Collagen over natural but they do stand up better to direct contact with the water. @gadahl I’ll make sure Austin doesn’t get any ideas!

• Power User

We cook them before packaging them. I understand your point but you have some of the best pretubed casings and we prefer them.

Recent Posts

• D

@Jonathon great advice, keep it simple

read more
  • Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe

Learn how to make Big John's Pizza Dough Recipe with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Shaping the Dough Add to Baking Stone Pizza Slice Ingredients

During one of our recent livestreams, Big John offered to give us a great pizza dough recipe. He claimed it would give me a leg up on Austin when we eventually do our pizza competition. Well, I wanted to try it so I made some pepperoni here while I was propping open the door to try to get the temp to hold at 120° and then I finished them up in our sous vide cooker.

So his recipe called for 4 cups of King Arthur all-purpose flour but I decided to use the one specifically for pizza crusts, 2 packs of dry yeast, not the rapid rise kind, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

Steps for Dough

Take the 2 packs of yeast and mix with 1-1/2 cups of warm water. Then mix the rest of the ingredients in an oiled bowl, make sure everything is nice and mixed in and then transfer to a clean oiled bowl, cover with some plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour. Then put it in the fridge overnight.

Then the next day make another batch and mix them together, this was a tip from him that really seems to work out well! Then you can split them into batches and you can freeze them for up to 3 months but just know that he says the longer you leave them in the freezer they will not be as good!

Cooking Directions

Now, we are using a pizza stone so we are warming it up for an hour at 500°. I like to form the dough into a circle, now I am not perfect at this so it is more of a circle like shape than a true circle and then put it on the stone for 1-2 minutes to firm it up a little more. This will make adding the topping a lot better in my mind.

Now add your sauce, cheese, and any other toppings. I like to sprinkle some Garlic Romano Wing Sauce onto mine while it cooks, it is very good on pizza. We have cut our pepperoni pretty thin and we will put a good amount of that on top of the cheese.

Then lower the temp to 400 put your pizza in there and cook for about 8-10 minutes or just until the pizza dough is as hard as you like it and just as the cheese starts to turn brown in a few spots.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Excalibur Shakers Shop waltonsinc.com for Round Baking Stone Watch WaltonsTV: Big John’s Pizza Dough Recipe

Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Garlic Romano Wing Shake Spice Round Baking Stone Pepperoni Seasoning

read more
  • It could be somewhere in the area I highlighted in green.

I have most of my notifications turned off and might get an email once per day. It depends on posting activity.

notifications.jpg

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
Joe Hell

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.0k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 5.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, neomirav.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.