Summer Sausage question

• I made a double batch of Summer Sausage today. 20 lbs of venison and 5 lbs of pork. I used Walton’s Summer H unit and a 1 oz packet of cure. Added crushed red pepper and smoke. We then stuffed it into the 2.4 X 12 inch collagen casings. It sat chilled for about 3 hours and then without thinking I started my Green Mountain Grill and put 15 chubs on there for 2 hours. I then realized I normally let them stand in the fridge overnight. I put the remaining back in the fridge and will Sous Vide the 15 chubs that I smoked for 2 hours for 1 1/2 hours at 152 to get them to 152 IT temp. I only used the pink cure and not the ECA. I am presuming that they should be safe to eat? I read on a forum some where that it you mixed the meat well and used proper amount of the pink cure it starts working right away. I probably had about a 3 hour time from mixing the meat till I put them on the smoker. Thanks for any advice that you might have. Lynn

• the standard sure cure is not a accelerator so you will be fine, i think you want it to be in the fridge overnight. now if you use a cure accelerator you want to stuff and smoke right away.

• Walton's Employee

@lynn-nightingale You should be fine, the cure should keep the meat safe through the smoking process, you might not get as nice of color on it as you are used to and worst case scenario you might have some gray spots in your meat but that’s unlikely.

• It turned out great. No noticeable difference between the ones that I held for 2 days in fridge versus smoking right away. Thanks for the replies. I think it is probably best to wait for at least 24 hours to let the seasonings even out in the meat. Lynn

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    Just had the inside loins pan fried with some onions and butter. Delicious. A little salt and pepper and that’s it.

read more
  • @Joe-Hell
    Compound. I actually missed one same morning. Sorry to say that. Not into admitting that. Getting old sucks… Lol.

read more
  • P

@erich52 I bought an actual Walkin cooler from a guy who had it sitting stacked in his garage. He was going to put it up to process then his kids moved so he didn’t have a use for it. We also got a 3 bay sink from him too. Lots of restaurant resale places have panels but I talked to one guy said Pamela are cheap but the get you on the corner pieces and doors. Ours is 5’x9’. We can easily fit 4 deer on the one side plus still have plenty of shelf space or wheel the carts out and hang more. First full season with it so we’ll see how it goes. Ran 38-40F without a problem last night.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

20 users active right now (1 members and 19 guests).
Tex_77, pepper, jimmyfred, Chris, erich52

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 8.2k posts in 1.5k topics.
We currently have 5.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Steve57.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.