Collagen casings

• My first time making Polish sausage. The collagen casings are not as pliable as natural. Do I need to soak the ends in water in order to tie off the ends?
    Thanks

• Walton's Employee

@sloaned Are you using edible collagen or inedible collagen? If you are using inedible collagen then the rule of 15s apply. That is, soak it for 15 minutes in water that is 15°C (59°F) and is a 15% salt solution. If you are using edible collagen (Fresh, Clear, Smoke) then you don’t need to soak it. I’ve never tried tying edible collagen though so I dont know how that would work. If you are tying it I THINK it would be okay, soaking it might weaken it but tying it will combat that.

• @jonathon I have not opened the package yet. Looks like they are open on both ends. Edible 32mm smoke collagen casings.

• Walton's Employee

@sloaned Okay, then no, you do not need to soak them but dipping them in water briefly, like you would for collagen sheets might not be a bad idea, it at least wouldn’t hurt anything. Just make sure it is cool water and it is a very brief dip. If you are doing this weekend please post your results, I am interested in seeing what happens!

Recent Posts

• @txbigly
    I’d say 30-45 days still isn’t too long. I wouldn’t go much past 45 though.
    As long as it is still in the original vacuum packaging, and the packaging doesn’t start to expand (gas released from the meat), you should be fine wet aging for quite some time. When you open the package, you should notice pretty quickly if it sat too long and spoiled. The odor will be quite foul and noticeable. So, I’d shoot for the 30-45 day mark, and you should be good with that.

read more
  • K

@Joe-Hell ROFLOL 🙂

read more
  • @Austin I had the three 3 in 1 gig once…once 😒

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (0 members and 12 guests).
scrambler506, SmokeBonk, Joe Hell, schultzgang

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.0k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.3k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jmcox.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.