Pepper snack sticks

• I’m doing pepper sticks this weekend. 30# of deer, 7# pork trim and 3# of cheese. While looking up the ratio for seasoning to cure I seen about adding sure gel, and carrot fiber. I’ve made many kinds of bologna over the years from homemade to out of a package full of seasoning. I’ve never used sure gel or carrot fiber. Is this required to make sticks, and if I dont use them do I still mix water into the meat?

• Sure Gel and carrot fiber are used to help with water retention and getting the consistency in the end product. You will still need water if you don’t use them to help with mixing and stuffing. When using water without Sure Gel or Carrot Fiber I just add until it feels right and everything looks like all of your seasoning is mixed. . If you add too much it will increase the cooking time. I recently used carrot fiber on sticks and summer sausage (with ECA) and it is amazing. No taste and just the right amount to stuff nicely and, good taste and mouth feel.

• Walton's Employee

@tylerw what @steffenwiest says is 100% accurate. My recommendation to you would be to use one of those if you are going to stick with 30 lb of deer and 7 lb of pork trimming as you are going to be a little light on fat. I’d say 7 lb of trimming would cover you for 18 lb of deer but 30 is starting to get pretty lean. If you had time I would actually recommend using Cold Phosphate as that would increase the water holding capacity of the meat and I have had really good results using that, and carrot fiber together.

• Walton's Employee

@TylerW One last thing! If you don’t mind spending a few more dollars on a binder then Super Bind is excellent as it gives you potato starch, which gels at the same temp as meat starts to expel water and carrot fiber which holds 26 times its weight in water.

Also, I really am enjoying seeing people answering each other’s questions and helping each other out!

Recent Posts

• K

@Jonathon @LaBarca-cf What I take @Jonathon is saying is that you might just want to “pre-grill” your fresh sausages all the way up to full cooked temperature (71 C/160 F) and then bag them. Store them on ice until you are ready to serve them. When you get ready to serve them, throw them, bag and all, into a 160 F/71 C kettle of water for 20 minutes. Your sausages will be serving temperature, smoky and delicious. You will also bypass any chance of serving bad meat. This will work especially well if you have a vacuum bag sealer. If not, slowly work the air out of a ziploc bag and seal that as well as you can.

let us know if any of this is helpful.

read more
  • T

@Jonathon sure did, and so did the other 11 out of 12 people conpared to that half hog i did. They said that both were delishous but like the black bull better. Now with that said the 1/2 hog had alot more hours of smoke time which gave it alot of smoke flavor where the black bull had more seasoning flavor. 1/2 hog was 23 hour cook with approx 6 hours smoke and one 8 lb pork butt only had 2 hours smoke. Took both meats up to 160° then cut off smoke, wrapped in foil and finished cook to 200°. Both were extremely juicy

read more
  • @Dave-R Interesting. I would have not expected that much difference between the two.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

6 users active right now (0 members and 6 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.6k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Faith Fellowship.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.