Goose Snack Stick and Sausage Ratio??

• Hi all,

I am new to the sausage and snack stick game and was looking for some advice. I am confused when people talk about pork fat ratios when making these products with wild game (goose). I am planning on doing 50% pork butt (from the butcher shop) with 50% of goose breast meat. So, 20lbs of pork butt and 20lbs of goose meat.

Does this sound right? Should I be adding some straight pork fat too? Just a newbie looking for some advise!

• Walton's Employee

@ddibara if you are going to make it 50/50 with goose and pork butt then there is no need to add straight pork fat to your product. Just make sure that your pork butt is untrimmed, you want a nice thick fat cap on it, to get you in the correct range. Hope this helped!

• @jonathon Awesome, thank you!

• Walton's Employee

@ddibara What seasoning are you planning on using? We have a retail store attached to our offices and the old manager was a huge bird hunter and he made some amazing goose sticks. I think his favorite was the Habanero BBQ for goose but I’m sure they will all be good!

• I just placed an order for the Willies seasoning and I may add some hot cheese! I will have to try the Habanero BBQ next time!

Recent Posts

• D

I got ready to place an order an noticed many of the seasonings you carry are only available in quantities to mix 100# batches. Why are the batches so large? I make most of my summer sausage from a venison and pork mix after we’ve taken the cuts for steaks, made our ground and canned a few quarts. That being said doesn’t leave a lot for sausages, thus a 100# mix could last me years.
    Am I missing something?

read more
  • R

Thanks. Will start small before going big

read more
  • C

@RayStripling I would recommend using the powder and not the salt as it might make the end results to salty as for how much that is a matter of taste but remember you can add more at the end when you serve it but you cannot take it away.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

34 users active right now (1 members and 33 guests).
rhochstetler, peterdsusa, BrianB

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.5k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, peterdsusa.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.