Sure Cure Vs. Tenderquick

• Is Sure Cure the same as Tenderquick? If I understand things correctly, both are used for quick (overnight?) curing as opposed to Cure #2 which is used for long term dry curing. Is this correct and can Tenderquick be used the same way you would use Tenderquick?
    I have both in the cupboard and was wondering which one would be best for the cooked pepperoni I will be making tomorrow.
    Thanks

• Regular Contributors

@Ed_Orum Tenderquick and Sure Cure are not the same and are not interchangeable. Sure Cure #2 is 5.67% sodium nitrite and 3.63% sodium nitrate whereas Tenderquick is about .5% Sodium Nitrite and .5% Sodium Nitrate. Tenderquick also contains other ingredients that are not in Sure Cure. If you are making cooked pepperoni stick with the cure that is specified by the recipe you are following so you will add the correct amount sodium nitrite/nitrate to result in a safe product. I am wondering if the recipe calls for Sure Cure #2 or #1. Most cooked/smoked pepperoni recipes I have specify #1. In case you were wondering Sure Cure #1 and #2 are also not interchangeable. I hope this helps.

• Yes, I did a little more research. I used Tenderquick after looking up the right amounts to use on the Mortons web site. The Sure Cure I bought from Waltons is a 4oz package, and I was only making a “test” batch today of 4lbs, so it was darn near impossible for me to get the correct amount of Sure Cure.

• Walton's Employee

@ed_orum I went through all of our cures, seasonings, and additives and broke down everything by 1 and 5 lb batches. I measured out weight and volume so people could do it without a scale. You can see them in the seasoning section of the Walton’s learning center https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/category/23/seasonings.

• @jonathon Thanks!

Recent Posts

• @daveomak makes a good point, sometimes we forget to point out how important food safety is! The last thing any of us want is to make someone sick and that goes double for a family member!

read more
  • @Kinger no, it shouldnt make a difference, I was responding to this first thing in the morning before running to a class that I am taking at Iowa state so I think I was thinking at the beginning of the response that you cooked to an internal of 178 and then I realized my mistake but never fixed the response! Sorry, once Im back in Wichita, on Friday things will hopefully go back to normal!

read more
  • D

@newbe … Afternoon… Keep the meat BELOW 40 degrees F… Bacteria is growing while the meat is warming up… then again when cooling down… The LAST thing you want or need is a batch of meat that has been warm for an hour or longer… One good way to do that is double bowl the meat… Ice in the larger bowl and the smaller bowl, with the meat in it, on ice… You don’t want your family to get food poisoning… Dave

read more
  • P

I do it all the time. Still remember my mom saying it’s not a good idea. I’m sure if you are buying a nice steak and intend it eat it as a grilled T-bone you might notice some flesh cell break down (texture change). If you are going to use it in sausage you will not notice any difference. Made brats last night. Once frozen pork and elk. Refroze the brats. I do it time and time again.

read more
  • E

Here is a link to a website that has a handy Excel spreadsheet. It is, as it says a free non-commercial site.
    As for Waltons dropping the ball, I vote they are doing a great job.
    I think for all of us there are general guidelines, but unless you have a temperature and humidity controlled environment, both for the preparation, cooking (if you cook them) smoking, hanging etc, the results are bound to vary from batch to batch.
    Personally, I am searching how to get my home made smoked and dry cured pepperoni to the exact texture and firmness of Margarita pepperoni from the store.
    Through trial and error I have the flavor where I want it, but not the texture or firmness. I know time, temperature and humidity are all crucial, but the best I can do is in the basement and then subject to the environment that is there.
    I figure as long as I am not killing anyone or making anyone sick I am making progress. Thanks Waltons for all of the great information so far.
    Having said that, it would be nice to have your chart in an Excel spreadsheet.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.