Are these casings OK

• Found a local meat market willing to sell hog casings. They do quiet a bit of sausage themselves. I put the casings in the pre-soak and it looked like they had tentacles coming off them. Maybe 1/2” long floating from (but still attached) to the casing. These casings are preloaded on a sleeve. I’ve got everything ready to go. Sure don’t look like the videos I’ve watched.
    Any one got any thoughts?

• Walton's Employee

@denny66 Yeah, they are called whisks or whiskers I think and they aren’t a problem, as far as if they are good other than that I don’t know but I’d assume if they are making their sausage out of the same stuff that you would be ok! I believe most of the ones you get from a company that processes these professionally will either trim them somehow or turn the casing inside out so they don’t show. You are good to go!

• @jonathon

Thanks again for your help. This type of stuff is the reason I tend to start off my post (questions) with “I’m new at this” etc.
    I had decided to go ahead and stuff a little bit a see what the final product looked like with all those things sticking out. After doing so it didn’t look near as bad as it did when the casings were still on the sleeve.
    Again Thank You for you help. Between the videos and this community Walton’s has really helped me.

Recent Posts

• C

@blackbetty61 (Or anyone). do you just have 1 nylon washer on your auger? Or multiple washers? Mine has nothing now. I am sure it was lost before I got it

read more
  • F

You want to get it cooled all the way down before packaging, vacuum packing to prevent condensation from forming. That can cause freezing issues, freezer burn in the future.

read more
  • @chippewa we lost our thrust washer once, in a pinch we just made one outta a 5 gallon bucket lid…I think we still use it like that

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

23 users active right now (2 members and 21 guests).
BarnesAcres, Joe Hell, mjd1973, billwleod, wyattcrna, aleman, jackthelad, Brewer, bpschuebel

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.6k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wyattcrna.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.