Weekly Blog Post - New Year, New Experiments!

• Walton's Employee

Grinder Maintenance Video

Weekly Blog Post - New Year, New Experiments!

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Meatgistics University Seasoning and Additives: 201-202 We will be releasing a video on Deer & Wild Game Rinse and Hi-Temperature Cheese in the next week or so.

Meatgistics University Meat Processing Equipment: 202-203 We are going to be releasing Maintenance for your Grinder and Meat Mixer where we go over how to breakdown, clean and reassemble these as well as some tips for your grinders.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

Cured Sausage 201,202,203, etc. I have been running a lot of experiments this week and shooting the results that will be used in Cured Sausage videos to show you guys some simple but effective things you can do to improve your Summer Sausages and Snack Sticks. I also tried out finishing up a Summer Sausage in a Sous Vide Cooker without putting it in a Vac Bag like @parksider does. If I labeled them correctly during my experiment (I am 99% sure I did!) then I am comfortable saying that this is an acceptable way to finish up a thick cured sausage that has stalled, though in my opinion, a bag will give you a slightly superior product.

What’s on our Mind?

The Meatgistics community is growing nicely, as we continue to grow there will be some changes, nothing drastic but we have run into a couple of issues recently that we will have some new guidelines on what Austin or I will be able to respond to. We will make a post with more information when we have it worked out.

Noteworthy Recent Posts

How to Make Venison Hot Dogs has some very good advice on anyone looking to make Venison Hot Dogs (and really any cured sausage) and should be read.

For anyone looking to try something different Tender Jerky has @wvhunter1965 trying his hand at making tender jerky, if you are interested in giving it a try to check out or video and article How to Make Tender Jerky at Home.

Meatgistics Community

Our little community continues to grow at a steady rate. In the past 7 days we have had;
    188 New users
    124 New Posts
    18 New Topics

New Products

Testo pH Meter is a reasonably priced pH meter that will help you in any sausage making endeavor but specifically if you are trying to do a dry aged sausage. This can also assist if you are trying to make a shelf stable product!

Recent Posts

• @JohninPa With what @Unionguy1019 just added I would strongly consider tossing the meat.

read more
  • U

@JohninPa I did this about a year ago, stuffer broke. The only issue I had was my binder must have been affected by the freezing process as the fat in my sticks rendered out. Stayed inside the casing, tasted good just didn’t look good with fat between the casing and meat.

read more
  • U

@Jonathon Braunsweiger was pork liver, beef liver, 40% meat 60% fat pork grind, salt, dextrose, cure #1, NFDM, onion powder, pepper, marjoram, ground cloves and ginger. I cured the liver in a wet EQ brine (water, salt, dextrose and #1 cure). After brine I ground the liver and emulsified it with a food mill. Mixed spices with 2 cans of Straub Dark Ale added to farce mixed well and stuffed into 32mm smoked casings. Placed into 130 degree preheated smoker to dry, after 2 hours went to increase the temps and found everything all in my catch pan. Snack sticks were Salt, dextrose, cure #1, NFDM, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cheddar cheese and spicy V-8 juice. Mixed all except V-8, let age for 48 hours in fridge, mixed again adding v-8. Stuffed into 19mm collagen casings, after 2 hours at 130 degrees had the same dissolved casing result. The sausage shop that carries your casings in my area said I must have got them to wet. I come home and took a piece of casing and put it in water for 3 days. It swelled up and got kind of rubbery but didn’t dissolve.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

32 users active right now (3 members and 29 guests).
Joe1, Jonathon, TODDG25, craigrice, Departing Contestant, Unionguy1019, AdamCA, jim schaeffer, mydogs1900

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.4k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, mydogs1900.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.